• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think?

I was especially turned off by watching his students defend baseball bats by catching it with their hands.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The guy does seem to block well. However his style doesn't seem revolutionary to me. Wing Chun uses extensive blocking as well. Maybe the guy can really fight, but I'm pretty sure he'd get destroyed by a real MMA guy like Georges St- Pierre for example. Oh yeah, I also don't like their blocking bats with their hand technique.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I think someone should call this guy out. It seems at best ridiculously boastful and ineffective (and somewhat unnecessary. No forms or sparring? Soooo its only function is exercise or beating people up?), and at worst something that will get someone seriously hurt trying to defend themselves from an armed attacker.

Blocking bats with the hands does seem not right. From what I have learned about club type weapons is to get inside the trajectory of the swing, and stop the momentum at the opponent's hands. That, or just get away, or find a ranged weapon. ;)

I will say, they do look pretty good in their movement and such, but there was nothing there that I have never done or seen, and probably most of the other users on this forum have not done or seen either. One thing for sure is that that style is not unique.

I am very put off with the attitude of the creator/spokesman. Why does everyone claim their art as "the best" or "most effective"? There are only so many ways you can beat someone down. Also, he trains the navy seals? Is this Montgomery Style Karate or what? Or do both styles get taught to the military and police?

I'm just going to have to call bogus on this

Blocking bats with the hands does seem not right. From what I have learned about club type weapons is to get inside the trajectory of the swing, and stop the momentum at the opponent's hands. That, or just get away, or find a ranged weapon. ;)

Wise words Brian.

In Daito Ryu (which was where Hapkido comes from I think) you are taught to intercept at the hand or preferably above the elbow as you can then control the attackers forearm.

Its all about correct distance and timing. As PS1 says, trying to block a bat with your arm is not clever.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

In Daito Ryu (which was where Hapkido comes from I think) you are taught to intercept at the hand or preferably above the elbow as you can then control the attackers forearm.

Its all about correct distance and timing. As PS1 says, trying to block a bat with your arm is not clever.

I agree with your thoughts here. You are right about Hapkido descending from Daito Ryu, as well. Intercepting the arm at the wrist or above is where you want to be on a club swing.

• 1 month later...