• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hiya all.

I picked up the new Tae Kwon Do Times today. They have an article in there titled "Combining The Arts. Can TKD and Hapkido be taught as one?"

I'll make that the guestion, and you can give your oppinion :smile: And I'll go read the article :grin:

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As in Hap Kwon Do or Tae Ki Do :lol: But seriously, you mean combining the two teachings as one? If that's what you mean, then I don't see why not so long as the instructor is proficient on both arts.

I've seen many TKD schools that also advertise teaching Hapkido, but I'm not sure if they teach it seperately or combined.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I personally believe that a truly good maritial artist is well rounded and proficient in more then one style of martial arts. Combining the kicks and punches of Tae KwonDo and the throws locks and rolls of hapkido can be an esspecially lethal combination, as long as there is a good teacher and you are a good student it is an excellent idea

expose yourself to your deepest fear;after that fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free-morrison

yes they can be combined and work well together..the dojang i came up in american taekwon do on long island new york does just that..although our school is known nationally as putting out gold medalist in sport taekwon do..the balance as for being effective in actual self defense is from our traditional taekwondo. training.as well as hapkido.. :up:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

That's basically what they (TKDT) also said. It (Hapkido & TKD) can be combined, and work well.

One reason I posted that was because I wanted to teach both in the future. Then I saw the TKDT article, and decided to post the question. BUT I want to be a great instructor also. I just don't wanna have both arts at my future dojang, I wanna TEACH both arts the best as I can. It'll be several years of training and practice on my part to do so. But I'm up for the challange :grin:

Laurie F

My second Sensei Geray Kanode held black belts in TKD, Hipikido and Kung Fu. He mixed the 3 plus some training in TSD and teaches what he calles American TAO Karate.

The style is build arround Hipidido however but he uses a lot of TKD moves that I caught on to from my Shotokan background. I think you can mix about anything.

Hipikido is a great art one day I hope to work more in it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Can they be taught together? Yes, as long as the instructor has put in the proper training and really understands the principles of each and how they differ.

Many people, unfortunately, try to pass off TKD with joint locks as Hapkido. Don't be confused because they are both Korean arts.

If someone practices "kicking" in their art, are they studying TKD?

Sounds like a silly question, doesn't it? Of course not.

This is similar to studying joint locks and saying you are doing Hapkido. There is more to TKD than just Kicks, just as there is more to Hapkido than just joint locks. The principles and training are also different. The principles of Hapkido permiate in everything a practitioner does; from joint locks, breakaways, strikes, kicks, Dan Jun breathing, etc, etc, etc.

If people have joint locks in a TKD curriculum thats awsome! I believe that people should be proud of what you do and don't try to belittle it by calling it something else. Call it what it is and enjoy it. :smile:

Take care

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

While not the exact same situation my Tang Soo Do instructer has a black belt in jujitsu and aikido. He incorporated them both into our training. I am very thankful for the little bit of grappling I learned and feel pretty well rounded.

Semper Fi

• 1 month later...
I study traditional Hapkido. My opinion is mixed. I have also studied TKD and A TKD based hapkido. As others have said it depends on how you teach. You have to stay 100% true to the Hapkido hand techniques or risk making them less effective. I say this becouse this is what I ran into in the TKD school and the TKD based school. The school I'm in now has the most effective and painfull way of doing the same techniques that I learned before. I can only assume the same of the others that I learned. As well, traditional Hap Ki Do does not perform all their kicks the same way. We do not snap any kicks at all. And from what my teacher has told me we have almost 18-20 more kicks than TKD does. Kicks that are associated with HKD. It is an iffy thing, but hell I think anything can be possible. Personally I don't think I would like to study in that school. :weirdlook:

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!