• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first tourney in 7 years

here's a few clips of me in my first tournament since I came back to MA in like 7 years.

I currently go to a school that teaches its own system of a mixture of Kenpo, Jiu Jitsu, and arnis. However what you will see is TKD since thats where I am rooted and this was an open tournament.

- This is me doing Yul Gok. I placed 4th, I only worked on it for 2 days.. as my wife had been in the hospital for nearly 2 weeks with our 10 week premature son. he's doing well, but hasn't come home from the hospital yet. I competed against a guy that did a palgwe can't remember which one, and 3 shotokan guys. The shotokan guys sweeped forms in all divisions.

- This is me in sparring (in the black). I thought the other guy was really good. I won 5-2. this was my favorite match, and he was a nice guy to boot. I think he was WTF but not sure. I took 2nd in sparring.

- This is me sparring another one of our students. I can never beat this guy because he ALWAYS just throws random clashing movements. He doesn't use his brain when he throws the moves. he's training to fight an MMA fight in February.. I'd like to know how you all think he'll do just from watching this. he beat me 5-4 according to the judges. and yes, I wasn't wearing a mouthpiece.. my instructor never made it a point to give me one. I guess that was my own fault for not taking the time to do it. Oh well I have one now.. nice bright pink one :) By the way, see if you can tell the difference in me and the way he spars.

thoughts and comments welcome!

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First and foremost:

Congratulations on becoming a father! I hope your wife and son pull through just fine!

Clearly, you hadn't worked on the form for a while. I don't know Palgwe, but it just doesn't look crisp. I'm sure other TKD practitioners can give you more insight on the form. But I noticed your posture wasn't quite there several times and both side kicks looked sloppy.

I'm not much of a fan of point sparring but it looked like you did well. If your friend is practicing for an MMA match, he shouldn't be risking his health in a point sparring tourney. There is absolutely nothing from it that transfers to the ring. It's really impossible to say how he'd do in the ring. Let us know!

Thanks for posting the vids.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."