• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will someone outline the different types of karate??

phi-long

(If I am wrong on any of this, please correct me. Because I may very well be wrong.) Well, to the best of my knowledge, there are two types of karate: Okinawan and Japanese. The Okinawan styles tend to be hard, and this includes Goju-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu, and Isshin-Ryu. The Japanese styles are softer than the above mentioned styles, with less harsh (right way to put it?) body conditioning, such as Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, and Shito-Ryu. Hope this helps.

There are three main types of Okinawan Karate. They are all derived from Naha-te Shuri-te and Tomari-te. These could also be broken into Hard or Soft styles as was mentioned. Japanese Karate is typically Hard style embracing more linear movements. My understanding is that this is because they were bigger than Okinawan in stature (this also applies to Uechi-Ryu). All Japanese Karate is branch of Okinawan karate - to my knowledge. Those that are native to Japan aren't technically Karate, they are Martial Arts.

These websites listed here are EXCELLENT. I would emphasize however that all Karate is branched like a 100 year old tree. I started in Yamashita-Shorin Ryu which emphasized deep stances and bigger movements. Yamashita Sensei's instructor is the head of Shorinkan Shorin-Ryu and it is very small movements, and shallower stances. VERY different. So keep in mind very few styles even with the same name are alike.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt