• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring/training/martial arts music

If just sparring or working out I wouldn't mind some motivational music, but during serious practice I prefer none at all.

I've seen kata and forms done to music, this annoy's me to no end.

I agree.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Personally, I think music during training is a bad idea. As some of you have mentioned, its usually done during sparring or rolling (jiujitsu gym). This is probably the worst idea. These are the most random portions of training and, therefore, have the highest possibility of risk. It's more difficult to hear people voice pain or to hear tapping (if a tap on the body is not possible). Those are just my thoughts. However, when I'm alone training kata or just exercising and doing drills, I like to listen to something heavy.

I had never thought about this, really. A very good point you make.

Personally, I think music during training is a bad idea. As some of you have mentioned, its usually done during sparring or rolling (jiujitsu gym). This is probably the worst idea. These are the most random portions of training and, therefore, have the highest possibility of risk. It's more difficult to hear people voice pain or to hear tapping (if a tap on the body is not possible). Those are just my thoughts. However, when I'm alone training kata or just exercising and doing drills, I like to listen to something heavy.

I agree here-you have to be careful and discerning when using music to train. Safety is an issue but so is learning style...some students can be distracted when trying to focus on a new skill.

BBC-Thanks for the list!!!

8) 8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I can go with out music but a room of people and music playing creates a warm feeling in the room. That and music just gets me so hyper XD ...slow songs excluded of course >.

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

I had a CD I use to play when I taught class.

when I put it on, people new that class was gonna start, and it helped them

get in the mood.

mainly just for warmup. And for the times I wanted to pump them up

for hard workout.

one of my favorite drills: hit the bag for 60 sec as fast as you can.

before they start, I would tell them, this is gonna be hard,

imagine your whole family is watching you, not to mention all of us.

don't let us down. can you take this? you got it? give it your all,

I want you on your knees afterwards if not you didn't give me everything!

imagine the bag as the person you want to fight the most.

I don't care how much you slow down, whatever you do, just don't stop!

take a deep breath, close your eyes,

and if they are too relaxed I tell them to slap their body and

wake themselves up.

I put on the music loud and say: are you ready? Let's get it on!!!!

ah the power of music.

• 1 month later...
Music can help motivate me, but can distract me.

I find it much easier to concentrate without it.

Depending on what you are doing I think the music might actually help you. Think about it, if you can't concentrate with music on, how are you going to concentrate during a real fight. During an actual conflict there could be countless distractions.

Music can help motivate me, but can distract me.

I find it much easier to concentrate without it.

Depending on what you are doing I think the music might actually help you. Think about it, if you can't concentrate with music on, how are you going to concentrate during a real fight. During an actual conflict there could be countless distractions.

That is true, but at the same time, you might zone everything else out in a real fight.

My brother played football throughout middle school, high school, and at a small college, and I asked him once if he ever heard or saw the crowd when he played. He said the only things he ever saw was Dad walking the sidelines; everything else was blurred out and fuzzy, and he could hear Mom yelling in the crowd. Otherwise, that was it.

That is just one person's experience, though. Everyone is different.

• 3 weeks later...