• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking BJJ and Judo at the same time.

Judo can complement bjj alot. But you should be very carefull with the fact you may learn the same technique in both arts but with completely diffrent setups, grips, ect. Also you should be learning these arts to better yourself and make you more well round not to earn a black belt.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes, i think you are way too concerned with belt ranking. Application and execution of techniques is much more important than saying " hey look at me, I have a black belt."

I agree completely.

They compliment each other very well. Many grappling champions have studied both arts.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 4 weeks later...
Is it worth taking two grappling arts and neglecting a striking art? Also, do these arts complement each other?

The only reason why I want to take Judo is the throws I can learn, history behind jiujitsu and judo, and the fact that earning a black belt takes about the same time to earn a blue belt in brazillian jiu jitsu. I feel that I would learn a great deal within the span of 2 years, rather than just taking BJJ. Probably after the two year span, after I earn the black belt I will move on to a striking form.

From what I know the promotion on Judo is based on tournament wins (which I am sure of) and class performance (not so sure about.)

Before I thought taking 2 grappling arts is pretty much overkill, but still martial art classes are all about learning.

What is your input on this? Thanks in advance.

Wel i think taking more than one class at a time is great!! , it really makes you concentrate on each aspect of the art and you will soon see that you are comparing the arts and finding weakness. At one stage i was doing 4 styles at once. it does work i have 16 styles under my belt which i am ranked high in all , and i am one of the best fighters you will see , so there is no disadvantage to learning more than one style.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.