• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking BJJ and Judo at the same time.

Is it worth taking two grappling arts and neglecting a striking art? Also, do these arts complement each other?

The only reason why I want to take Judo is the throws I can learn, history behind jiujitsu and judo, and the fact that earning a black belt takes about the same time to earn a blue belt in brazillian jiu jitsu. I feel that I would learn a great deal within the span of 2 years, rather than just taking BJJ. Probably after the two year span, after I earn the black belt I will move on to a striking form.

From what I know the promotion on Judo is based on tournament wins (which I am sure of) and class performance (not so sure about.)

Before I thought taking 2 grappling arts is pretty much overkill, but still martial art classes are all about learning.

What is your input on this? Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This depends on your goals.

To be a well-rounded fighter, yes you should probably also take a standing art, but if that is a lifetime goal and not a, win some mma competition by the time I'm 25 goal (which is a valid life choice), then two grappling arts at once will work out.

At one point I was doing BJJ, Judo, and a striking art (and not so hot in my classes) which was nice, but I've found that its ok to do this one for a couple of years and if it sticks, keep it, if not move on. With Judo, when I tore my meniscus, I couldn't do a lot of the techniques, so I concentrated on my standing, and when the striking class conflicted with my schedules, I concentrated on BJJ.

Just my ramblings, but overall my opinion is to go for both.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I think that Judo and BJJ can compliment each other well. Judo will give you a great standing takedown arsenal, and BJJ will give you the base you need to be effective on the ground.

I was kind of thinking of the MMA route, but I am starting to get second thoughts about it (Is it really worth it getting beaten up for money or the other way around, but its good money nonetheless and other health reasons that might affect me after I do MMA. Or the whole bandwagon thing). It'll just be determined on how well I do in grappling tournaments, and I have a friend that is willing to teach me Muay Thai whenever we have time in our schedules. Anyways, I always wanted to get a black belt in something, since Judo seems to be the quickest way to get a black belt is the reason why I am taking it. Well thanks for your inputs, and I'll probably take collegic wrestling over fall next year which will solidify my grappling techiques. All I have to worry about is keeping myself healthy and not injured.

In a way yes, but from my stand point I am a person that likes to get things done fast over a lot of things. When I last took karate (my dad's friend taught me for free and I learned 2 katas and dabbled in a third), after one kata I wanted to move on, but he told me martial arts takes a lot of practice, and I totally forgot all of the katas he taught me except the first one because it was pretty easy to remember. But now I am starting to think its better to learn than just getting the rank. If I get a black belt in something and can't perform when the time is needed, it is just a waste of time and money.

In a way yes, but from my stand point I am a person that likes to get things done fast over a lot of things. When I last took karate (my dad's friend taught me for free and I learned 2 katas and dabbled in a third), after one kata I wanted to move on, but he told me martial arts takes a lot of practice, and I totally forgot all of the katas he taught me except the first one because it was pretty easy to remember. But now I am starting to think its better to learn than just getting the rank. If I get a black belt in something and can't perform when the time is needed, it is just a waste of time and money.
That is exactly right. Don't worry about the rank you get; worry more about the quality of instruction you receive. Take your time, and practice a lot. That's the only way to earn success.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, i think you are way too concerned with belt ranking. Application and execution of techniques is much more important than saying " hey look at me, I have a black belt."

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense