• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bunkai for specific attacks?

Brian S

Hello everyone. I just have a quick question.

Iss your bunkai designed for specific attacks such as a lapel grab, front choke, wrist grab,etc...?

I believe bunkai should at first be taught for specific attacks,then progressively used when the opportunity arrises against any attack.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my dojo, we learn bunkai first for a specific type of attack, and then when our sensei feels we're all "getting it", he will have us break into groups and try to come up with our own possible scenarios.

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

Some techniques are best applied against specific attacks, and that is the most basic way of practicing bunkai. Once you move beyond that and look at the principles of the technique you will notice that a single technique can be used in a number of ways.

i think there is core attack that a move was designed for. but there are also many other things that a technique can be used on.

take a gedan barai for example. most obvious use is to block a low attack with it. but it can be used as a strike or a disengage.

Now you use head for something other than target.

Some techniques are best applied against specific attacks, and that is the most basic way of practicing bunkai. Once you move beyond that and look at the principles of the technique you will notice that a single technique can be used in a number of ways.

This is pretty much the way I was taught and teach. I have a basic, "school set," bunkai that is mandatory for each person to learn. However, once the student is skilled enough, I show them other interpretations and encourage them to explore them on their own.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

This is pretty much the way I was taught and teach. I have a basic, "school set," bunkai that is mandatory for each person to learn. However, once the student is skilled enough, I show them other interpretations and encourage them to explore them on their own.

I think that this tends to be the pattern for most styles. Even in Boxing, most begin with the Jab/Cross combo, and build from there. Start easy to learn concepts, and then build up.

i think there is core attack that a move was designed for. but there are also many other things that a technique can be used on.

take a gedan barai for example. most obvious use is to block a low attack with it. but it can be used as a strike or a disengage.

Well, I disagree that it is a low block of any kind. JMO.

Strike, break, lock, or throw, but never a block.

I think there are many ways to train bunkai. First start with a specific attack then work different ones with the same intent, but at different angles and with different targets.

I think there are many ways to train bunkai. First start with a specific attack then work different ones with the same intent, but at different angles and with different targets.

Yes, we always practiced any particular bunkai on 4 levels.

1. The basic bunkai, static, and as it looks in the kata

2. Learn to counter a particular bunkai

3. Learn to adapt to the counter and preempt it

4. Remove the technique from the confines of the kata and apply it's concept in other areas.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Hello everyone. I just have a quick question.

Iss your bunkai designed for specific attacks such as a lapel grab, front choke, wrist grab,etc...?

I believe bunkai should at first be taught for specific attacks,then progressively used when the opportunity arrises against any attack.

there i'd have to disagree with learning specific attack/defenses as learning the principle gives the student options of how to use the same material in different ways.

there i'd have to disagree with learning specific attack/defenses as learning the principle gives the student options of how to use the same material in different ways.

Principles are important, but at some point you must say "using the principles found within this sequence of movements we can defend against .

The balance between teaching principles and being 2 specific is important.