• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you consider TSD and/or TKD as being descended from karate or being the parents of karate?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider TSD and/or TKD as being descended from karate or being the parents of karate?

• Yes
    • No

George Anderson is a 9th degree Black Belt under the kukkikwon. He is the head of the Central TKD association, which falls under the Kwanmukan. All of the primary forms and Ippon kumite (one step sparring) is from the shotokan system. If TKD is so different...why would they promote him to 9th when he teaches Karate?

My 3rd degree certificate under him says Kwanmukan, Shotokan, and Central TKD Association. That one black belt is good in TKD (although I do not claim it because I think that's a crock) as well as Shotokan. But that's a Kukkikwon recognized rank. All the rank requirements, however, are very similar to JKA.

I'm unsure about Mr. Anderson, but you, yourself, have all the makings of a Chang Moo Kwan Tae Kwon Do/Kwan Bup Bu instructor with your background in Shotokan and Chaun Fa.

At least, from what I've been reading on Chang Moo Kwan.

I'll be darned if I can't find an unbiased/non-politicized master of the forms though.

The Chang moo kwan is the same organization as the kwanmukan. They are both led by Grand Master George Anderson.

My Chuan Fa background is not from that system however. I studied it before getting involved with the Kwanmukan. But you have just illustrated my point more effectively. The forms from them are identical.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Anderson is a 9th degree Black Belt under the kukkikwon. He is the head of the Central TKD association, which falls under the Kwanmukan. All of the primary forms and Ippon kumite (one step sparring) is from the shotokan system. If TKD is so different...why would they promote him to 9th when he teaches Karate?

My 3rd degree certificate under him says Kwanmukan, Shotokan, and Central TKD Association. That one black belt is good in TKD (although I do not claim it because I think that's a crock) as well as Shotokan. But that's a Kukkikwon recognized rank. All the rank requirements, however, are very similar to JKA.

I'm unsure about Mr. Anderson, but you, yourself, have all the makings of a Chang Moo Kwan Tae Kwon Do/Kwan Bup Bu instructor with your background in Shotokan and Chaun Fa.

At least, from what I've been reading on Chang Moo Kwan.

I'll be darned if I can't find an unbiased/non-politicized master of the forms though.

The Chang moo kwan is the same organization as the kwanmukan. They are both led by Grand Master George Anderson.

My Chuan Fa background is not from that system however. I studied it before getting involved with the Kwanmukan. But you have just illustrated my point more effectively. The forms from them are identical.

May I ask something of you then?

Have you ever heard of either Jae Mann Lee or Jung Kil Moon at Reinhardt College in Waleska, Georgia?

Last classes given there were apparently over 30 years ago.

Both had apparently trained under Grandmaster Nam Suk Lee.

I'm unsure of what happened to Mr. Jae Mann Lee, but Mr. Jung Kil moon apparently moved to New York state ~1974.

I can find no outstanding record of either through google searches except through my Dojang's webpages.

To complicate things, there seems to be no Korean affiliation outside of my San Bum Nim's San Bum Nim's San Bum Nim. (Say that three times fast!)

No Korean flag in the Dojang, no WTF, ITF, or Kwanmukan or kukkiwon affiliation. Merely an affiliation under a local Karate governing body.

I'm hoping that by finding the people who taught my home base's San Bum Nim, I can find some of the information I'm looking for. That is--Going to the root of the teachings instead of one of the branches that has formed from it.

Picture forms are what I'm really looking for. I'm being discouraged from going to TKD resources because "it may be different."

I don't know about Shotokan techniques--or what may have been modified from them in the adding of Chaun Fa.

Since Grandmaster Nam Suk Lee passed in August 2000, even the folks at World Chang Moo Kwan have trouble finding a consensus about the art's future. And a Google search on current Grandmaster Kim Soon Bae comes up that he views all Kwons as the same, and insists that no variations exist inside Korea--or even World Wide.

You can imagine my frustration in finding help with forms. Even Chang Moo Kwon practitioners don't seem to be united in forms and technique.

I'm at a real loss as to where to turn for help.

I imagine that can be a long--rather confusing rant. I apologize for that.

But thank you for reading.