• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

:-? Anyone think that this is a good drill?

Everyone gets in a circle and one person is in the middle. the people that formed the circle take turns attacking and the person in the middle makes up defensive moves.

I learned this drill from Master Brooks Matsuda(TSD)

I just want feedback in case I want to use it one day.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is a fairly common drills, I've encountered it many times. I do think it's a good one though. :)

One way to do it with advanced students is to have a time limit. We used 3 seconds. You had to have the person down on the ground in 3 seconds.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I think it's a good start before actually sparring against multiple opponents. I've sparred against three a few times. That wears me down pretty quick (if I don't just grab and lock one of them and use him as a shield :P ).

Sounds like a good drill for intermediate and up, but I wouldn't necessarily put a beginner in that situation.

I've sparred as many as 5 before, and yeah it'll take the wind out of you. I find it much easier to strategially move to keep one of them between me and the rest.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I have heard of it before as well. I think it is good for the student to be aware of where the attacks can come from, and fighting multiples when you don't have far to go is good for training, too.

Like others have mentioned, better for higher ranks.

I took it to be slightly different. As I have seen and experienced one person attacks at a time (often they are numbered, known or unknown to the center person, and the instructor calls out a number). Again in my experience the only time that more than one attack comes at a time is for more advanced students.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I took it to be slightly different. As I have seen and experienced one person attacks at a time (often they are numbered, known or unknown to the center person, and the instructor calls out a number).

Oh, like the circle drill in football practice. The guys in the middle just has to quickly turn and take a should to should hit by whomever's number is called. Okay, that makes more sense for an intermediate student.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I use a modified version of the drill. The person in the middle must remain facing the same direction at all times. The people around him have been randomly assigned a number. This way the leader simply calls out a number and that person attacks the person in the middle. I don't use it as a sparring drill though. Just a drill to practice self defense techniques. For the more advanced students, they practice it with their eyes closed and spin first (like pin the tail on the donkey). This disorients them, making it more difficult to defend.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."