• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would you do if...

Hmm, depending on who/why I'm in that situation, I'd punch them in the bicep (of the arm holding me), punch him in the solar plexus, grab both sides of their head and pull/twist at the same time using their leverage (pushed forward from the punch to the solar plexus) to flip them off me... Basically what Montana said...

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example: If I'm mounted and someone reaches up in any way, I armbar. From there I can keep on going to other submissions or ways to stand. But those counters are not obvious to the non-grappler and I'm trying to get a handle on some of the information I'll need to cover. Your responses are very helpful.

Although I consider myself a striker I do have some grappling experience and after defending the impending punch and armbar was the first thing I thought of.

I'm going to respond to this without reading the other replies first, so as not to be influenced.

If he had one hand about my throat, my theoretical reaction would be to grab the arm around my throat (lets pretend it is the attackers left hand, in this situation), with both my own hands, then swing my right leg up over his head, (hopefully) pulling the attacker down and allowing me to adjust my body beside them to finish with what I believe is called a cross arm hold or juji gatame.

I suppose this might be cheating a little since you only asked for non-grapplers to answer. But the only martial art I have studied is ITF Taekwon-do, and thats where I learned this hold.

Editted two spelling mistakes

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

For example: If I'm mounted and someone reaches up in any way, I armbar. From there I can keep on going to other submissions or ways to stand. But those counters are not obvious to the non-grappler and I'm trying to get a handle on some of the information I'll need to cover. Your responses are very helpful.

In my case, if I could get you to abandon the choke and go to the armbar, then I see that as a small victory, because at least I won't be going to sleep, and then not know what the heck happens to me.

I guess a pure striking counter might be to grab the choking wrist with the left and come accross with a plam strike to the choking elbow...hyper-extending or even snapping the elbow.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I would try to guard my face while reaching for the hand that's got my neck at the same time. Hopefully I'd be able to break one of the fingers and then knee the attacker or use and elbow in a sensitive spot, probably his ribs. Or I'd thumb a pressure point and force him off me with pain.

My Self-Defense partner and I worked on choke escapes a bit once, and he really locked on a choke, so I could see what it is like to fight it off. You don't have a lot of time, if it is locked on tight. You go out quick, so you have to react fast, and make sure it works.

Break the arm that was choking me then stat stopping him in the ground.... that is if u didnt want me to grapple

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

In my case, if I could get you to abandon the choke and go to the armbar, then I see that as a small victory, because at least I won't be going to sleep, and then not know what the heck happens to me.

Good point. You do need to pick your battles where you can. Also, I'm not sure the average person is going to know how to apply an armbar. I think someone might try it due to seeing it on TV. But it's alot easier said than done if you havent been trained to do it. You may get lucky enough to completely escape using your idea.

Something I'm glad not to see here is people saying they'd turn over completely. It happens alot. Quite often, when I'm teaching this stuff, the untrained opponent completely rolls over to escape being punched in the face. Then I just choke them.

Even before I studied any sort of jujitsu we would put ourselves in these situations. Both of us were always Karateka of course, but we always found the worst results when we just tried to cover up. The best defense always seemed to be striking and to keep moving. I'm a huge proponent of putting yourself in bad situations and finding a way out.

Anyone agree...disagree?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree, ps1. There was a time when I thought that rolling over would be good, because then I could tuck my chin in to my chest, and then avoid the choke. I know better now.

I wasn't sure when addressing the question initially whether or not to assume that the attacker was an experienced grappler. If they are, and they do try to armbar, you may have a small chance to escape during the transition move. Even if it is small, it is a chance.

If they are not an experienced grappler, then they probably have a one-track mind; choke you. If that is their only focus, then I think it may be easier to distract them with other techniques, and he won't be thinking about a transition move.

Of course, one should probably never assume anything.