• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fixed or folder?

ShotokanKid

Fixed or folder  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Fixed or folder

• Fixed
    • Folder with one hand operation (like a thumbstud)
    • Folder with slit for nail

Just a curious question for you knife carriers (or anybody who has ever seen a knife)...

Which do you prefer? Fixed or folding?

I just recently developed a liking to the neck knife.

Also, where (on your body) do you carry your knives?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the one-hand folder is the way to go, but I have heard that fixed may be preferable if you are allowed to carry it.

Make sure to be careful, and check the laws in your area as to what is legal to carry and what isn't. In my area, if you carry a blade that you can "flick" open, cops will confiscate it.

I'd imagine that a fixed would be better simply because you don't loose the (granted, very short) amount of time it takes to flick the knife open. However a folding knife is easier to carry, and thus it is better in that regard. Then again if you didn't care at all about concealment and just wanted a big blade at the ready, then you might as well go all out and get a sword (never bring a knife to a sword fight or something like that).

I don't think that I really answered the question.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I'm most comfortable with my one-hand folder, and am clumsy, so fixed is a hazard for my typical walking around self.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I carry a pocket knife that is a folder with a slit for opening with the nail. Of course, it is for utility purposes and not really a weapon. If I was carrying one for defense reasons I think I would lean toward a fixed blade, if there are no legal issues with it.

Ed

Ed

• 1 month later...

Fixed blade totally. I find them sturdier, not to mention I find them more impressive (i.e. a Bowie)

"Be Water my friend."

"The spirit of defeating a man is the same for ten million men." Miyamoto Mushahi

• 3 months later...

I voted folder, because that's the style of knife I have on my person most of the time. Occasionally, I'll have a small fixed blade as well.

I use the Smith and Wesson Blackops. It's a great little knife that has an assistined open feature that lets you deploy it very quickly.