• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ryukyu Kempo Kata

Aces Red

http://www.kyushokarateusa.com/KEMPO%20KATA%20-%20TAIYOKU%204.html

I don't understand what this specific kata, that being TAIYOKU 4: is talking about. Mind you my sensei has simplified the names of the movements depicted by this web site, so I don't know the terminology which the text is saying. So anyone who can find a video, simplified terms, or even a step by step guide let me know. Or just simplify the vocabulary for me so that I may be able to understand the definitions of these martial arts terms.

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is how I read it, don't take it for gosple.

1st move...Double Knifehand Block

The way I learned it, you start with both of your hands open at the side of your head, palms facing. Block with the hand that was on the outside going to the abdomen, open and palm up. Other hand is at an angle, hand open. (If you have done the kata before then even if you don't perform it this way it should be at least similar)

2nd move...step your right foot forward, elbow smash, back fist, low block, reverse punch

Probably the elbow smash is performed with the right hand, otherwise it doesn't make sence to step. The elbow smash is probably a cross elbow strike. Right forearm (near the elbow) strikes left open hand, right arm is horizontal to the floor.

Back fist is a strike with the back of your fist, generally head hight, fist in a vertical position

Low block, the starting position is different for different arts, but its the block that ends with your fist somewhere around your knee and your arm straight. (also called a down/downward block)

Reverse punch just means punch with the hand thats not in front (this would be the left)

It appears like the form is done in an I pattern, this is a normal pattern for basic forms.

Basically, if you start facing north, you will draw an I. You first draw the bottom part by going west then east (2 steps each direction, ie the turn into a stance, then the step into a stance). Then you draw the vertical line by going North 4 steps (1 turn and 3 step). Then the top line by going east then west (again 2 steps each). Go back down the vertical with 4 steps. Then redraw the bottom line with west then east moves.

All of the turns seem to land in the double knifehand block, then the steps forward are all the elbow smash combination.

If this doesn't make any sense, well I tried. Good luck.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein