• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Olympic-style Karate?

bushido_man96

Thanks for the info, Killer. I think it would be great to see Karate in an Olympic format. What the WKF needs to do is essentially the same thing that the WTF did in establishing TKD in so many various countries. They founded the Kukkiwon, which is the center of the WTF, and from which all the technical decisions are made on forms performance, rank advancement, and instructor, coaching, and officiating certifications are made.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer to see a kyokushin style competition but I think the shotokan tournament style lends itself better to a sporting event such as the Olympics.

I think you may be right, here. I think that Olympic Boxers have to wear head gear, so I think that safety is an issue. Of course, the new Martial Armor could maybe help with this. Then they would have to figure out the points scoring system, the legal target areas, and all of that lot.

Of course, the new Martial Armor could maybe help with this. Then they would have to figure out the points scoring system, the legal target areas, and all of that lot.

Already done. They have a well established point scoring system for both Kumite (sparing) and Kata (forms). These have all been accepted as the global standard by the IOC.

As far as the armour is concerned, it’s your standard light weight mitts in Red and Blue, with matching shin and instep guards. Then you have gum shield and groin protector. No head gear (at the moment).

As I understand it, it is recognised as an official sport by the IOC, however it narrowly missed out on becoming a guest sport for the 2012 Olympics here in London.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Thanks, Zanshin. I guess I need to look to see what the point scoring system is, then.

Are they just trying to include sparring in the Olympics, or are they looking to do a forms competition as well?

Thanks, Zanshin. I guess I need to look to see what the point scoring system is, then.

Are they just trying to include sparring in the Olympics, or are they looking to do a forms competition as well?

Due to the diversity of Karate, the WKF use the "Shitei" Kata system, in the first few rounds of a Kata competition.

I.E. you have to do a mandatory (or Shitei) Kata. Regardless of background you can do whatever Kata you want, however you need to do it in accordance with the correct style.

Each of the "Major" styles has their appointed "Shitei" Kata. Namely;

Goju Ryu - Seipai and Saifa

Shotokan - Jion and Kanku Dai

Shito Ryu - Bassai Dai and Seienchin

Wado Ryu - Seishan and Chinto

What this means is that if you want to perform any of these Katas in the competition, you have to do so in accordance with how the designated style does them. IE if you want to do Bassai you have to do it the Shotokan way etc.

After the "Shitei" Kata Round they have the "Tokui” or free Kata.

This means that regardless of style, you can do whatever Kata you want. So if I wanted to do the Wado version of Jion - I could. It still has to be done however in the correct way in accordance to the style you chose to do it in.

Confused???

And you wonder why it’s not an Olympic Sport!!!! :-?

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

Do you have any experience, or know much about it, ps1?

Any info I have is second hand at best. For a very long time a Karateka named George Anderson had his hands in it. He is the head of the Kwanmukan and was the co-head of the USANKF. For one reason or another, he seperated (or was seperated) from the organization. Now he has the USAKF. I don't know much about the circumstances that surrounded the events. I think it was his inability to get Karate to the Olympic stage (It's only a world game sport).

Personally, I don't think Karate will ever get in because authorities tend to have difficulty "selling" yet another point fighting event. People simply don't watch it and the IOC has difficulty selling tickets for TKD now. Adding another similar sport would not be fiscally sound. I think the day will come that MMA is in the olympics and, sadly, Karate will still be saying, "one day."

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I don't think Karate will ever get in because authorities tend to have difficulty "selling" yet another point fighting event.

That’s pretty much my take on it as well, and I am not sure whether the majority of people that practice Traditional Karate actually want it to become an Olympic sport anyway.

There is a feeling that it is not exactly representative of what Karate has to offer.

How do TKD practitioners feel about the whole Olympic thing?

I don't think Karate will ever get in because authorities tend to have difficulty "selling" yet another point fighting event.

That’s pretty much my take on it as well, and I am not sure whether the majority of people that practice Traditional Karate actually want it to become an Olympic sport anyway.

There is a feeling that it is not exactly representative of what Karate has to offer.

How do TKD practitioners feel about the whole Olympic thing?

No big deal to me. I could watch it, or not. Right now, I don't care for the clinches in the style, and I don't like how hand technqiues do not score. However, those guys are great atheletes, and they train a lot. It is tough to get into.

Right now, I don't care for the clinches in the style

Is this what I think you mean, as in competitors are doing a lot of holding on to each other during bouts? Presumably this is to stop your opponent from achieving enough space between you and them in order for them to kick you. Or have I miss understood?

Have you got any youtube links?

Right now, I don't care for the clinches in the style

Is this what I think you mean, as in competitors are doing a lot of holding on to each other during bouts? Presumably this is to stop your opponent from achieving enough space between you and them in order for them to kick you. Or have I miss understood?

Have you got any youtube links?

Yeah, you have it much, pretty much. But the way TKDers clinch is different. They get up close, with their hands down, usually, and then try to jockey one into moving back enough to throw round kick or something.

This video has some brief spots of clinching:

They try to push and create space, or they hug, with the hands down low. I am of the opinion that many of TKD's knockouts could be avoided with a simple use of the "hands up."