• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Miletich's gym makes ESPN Magazine

I don't know how many people read ESPN The Magazine, but in an October issue, there is an article about Pat Miletich's gym in Bettendorf, IA. Apparently, he has a try-out held there every year, where guys come from all over the country to try their hand at being the next MMA star. The article was quite interesting, and the fact that it shows up in a sport magazine like ESPN The Magazine shows just how big MMA is becoming.

One thing discussed in the article is how tough it actually is to break into the MMA game, even the lower rungs, like the IFL. I loved the article, and thought the magazine did a good job of covering the subject. I also saw that ESPN did a spot on MMA on its new TV Magazine show, E60, but I didn't get to see it. MMA gets more and more coverage all the time.

Comments?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Although the saying goes that 'Any publicity is good publicity', I think it certainly helps to have a mainstream sporting media outlet give a positive and professional look at MMA as opposed to a investigative report into 'human cockfighting'. I would like to read the article, but unfortunately I was not subscribed for the month of October. Maybe they have it on their site- regardless, it would be interesting to see if ESPN would actually start picking up on a regular basis MMA events.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

They're correct. It's exceptionally difficult to break into the sport. However, I believe this is because people think that having a black belt or being a good wrestler or boxer will get them in. They neglect the fact that you need an active manager, good coaches, excellent training and a strong local fighting stage that has good regulations surrounding it.

In addition, the risk of injury is very high. So even if you're good enough, one injury could end it all. Plus, it's a professional sport! I like to think the reason people in it get paid alot is because it's something not everyone can do. The percentage that train to the percentage that make it big is very small, just like Basketball, Football, Soccer, and so on...

My advice to anyone who wants to make it in the sport is to find a gym that's reputable. Get a manager. Train very regularly and stay healthy. Then it's all up to your skill level and potential.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Very cool- I missed it but it sounds like a good article!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Although the saying goes that 'Any publicity is good publicity', I think it certainly helps to have a mainstream sporting media outlet give a positive and professional look at MMA as opposed to a investigative report into 'human cockfighting'. I would like to read the article, but unfortunately I was not subscribed for the month of October. Maybe they have it on their site- regardless, it would be interesting to see if ESPN would actually start picking up on a regular basis MMA events.

I agree with you here, NightOwl. ESPN has been playing highlights from some of the big fights (Liddell/Jackson is one I remember) on SportsCenter highlights. So, I think it is going to happen more and more. FoxSportsNet is really good about covering MMA, and Spike as well.

Speaking of MMA in the mainstream, has anyone seen the new Dell commercial with Burt Reynolds, Chuck Liddell, and Brook Burke in it? It is creeping in more and more.

They're correct. It's exceptionally difficult to break into the sport. However, I believe this is because people think that having a black belt or being a good wrestler or boxer will get them in. They neglect the fact that you need an active manager, good coaches, excellent training and a strong local fighting stage that has good regulations surrounding it.

In addition, the risk of injury is very high. So even if you're good enough, one injury could end it all. Plus, it's a professional sport! I like to think the reason people in it get paid alot is because it's something not everyone can do. The percentage that train to the percentage that make it big is very small, just like Basketball, Football, Soccer, and so on...

My advice to anyone who wants to make it in the sport is to find a gym that's reputable. Get a manager. Train very regularly and stay healthy. Then it's all up to your skill level and potential.

That is good advise, ps1. I wish I had the opportunity to just train at a gym like that, as opposed to fight.

Echoing your first comment, the article stated that a lot of "tough guys" show up, trying to get their shot. A lot of people who are big guys that have been in lots of fights, be it bars or whatever, show up. There was an interesting bit in the article on a guy who was a former college football player from Minnesota, I think. The guy was kind of cocky, and one of the IFL heavyweights from that gym got to line up with him, and gave the guy a nice piece of humble pie to take home with him.