• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Belt Test

Well I've been at this karate lark for a little over a month. I absolutely love it and I practice like crazy. I've managed to prove I could take the test for yellow belt on 30 Nov. So I know that I know what I need to but I'm worried about stage fright. All the families there watching their kids and I gotta get up there. So what do you guys do to relax. My plan at the moment is to practice, practice, practice so my muscles know what to do even if my brain doesn't!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hehe, good plan.

Something that helps me (because I'm a planner and an organizer), is that I write out all of my techniques and forms- its actually required in my system but really helps to relax me. Once I've explained everything out on paper (a tedious process) I know that I will have it down in my head- like how teaching it to someone makes you know it better.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

it sounds that you are on the right track by recognizing that promotion exams are largely about mentality. practice a lot and focus on your kata while demonstrating. if you keep your mind on the kata the others in the room will not be as noticable. in my experience most people get a little nervous before promotion exams. despite having been through as much several times i still reflect a little concern before the day and practice the material a whole lot. it might also prove benificial to learn what the exam will consist of if your sensei will tell you. becuase mine is well known for throwing in a few suprise requests that can be a little difficult. last see if the other students will help you prepare as that seems to help a great deal.

After 14 years of TKD, I still get nervous at testings; even if I am not testing sometimes! Being confident and well prepared are the two best things you can have about you when testing. When they call your name, and you go up in front, take a few deep breaths, and when they tell you to begin, just go. If you mess up, fix it and go on. Don't get frustrated, and just go.

Best of luck to you! :karate:

It takes time to be able to preform under the stress of a promotion with outsiders watching. Don't dwell on the test too much relax the day before if possible. On the day before run you technique a few times and don't try to change anything. Most promotions are past or failed due to confindince.

Believe in yourself and your technique and you'll be fine.

Well I've been at this karate lark for a little over a month. I absolutely love it and I practice like crazy. I've managed to prove I could take the test for yellow belt on 30 Nov. So I know that I know what I need to but I'm worried about stage fright. All the families there watching their kids and I gotta get up there. So what do you guys do to relax. My plan at the moment is to practice, practice, practice so my muscles know what to do even if my brain doesn't!

All good advice given above as usual. Also remember that you are testing for your yellow belt, not a 7th Dan Black belt and as such the examiner will take that on board.

That said it’s good to worry about your exam, as it shows you have a passion for your art. To me that means you are 90% there already.

The rest is all about sweating your “proverbials” off on the day.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I'm lucky my sensei doesn't allow any spectators during testing. All the other students are there watching, though, and for me that's hard enough. It helps to know we are all in the same boat. As for the other people watching, do what Marcia Brady did and picture them all in their underwear.

Congrats and good luck!

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

h.r.ford,

Like you mentioned, I turn up the frequency of my practice sessions before a test to ensure that I have everything down. As for getting nervous, I seem to get worse with each testing. However, once I am testing, the nervousness goes away, for the most part.

Ed

Ed

Just thought I'd let you guys know I passed my first test. I definitely had a brain fart or two as I messed up the first 2 steps of the worlds easiest Kata but I did it again just fine... Oh well onward and upward.