• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

should i ask permission...(read on)

I disagree.

A MMA fighter will learn enough surface technique to get by in a ring, in the same way that a sport TKD fighter learns enough technique to win a match. Think about it: How many techniques do they really do?

I agree with Tengu: there simply ae not enough hours in the day to study more than one martial art in depth, unless that's all you plan to do. For the rest of us, work, family, and personal time cut into whatever other training we might wish to do. By personal time, I mean time to ourselves spent not doing martial arts. You need that too.

If you are truly dedicated to a martial art, that in itself will take up much of your time. That's one reason why I'm very suspicious of so-called masters of 10 different styles. It would not be humanly possible to put the time and dedication to master 10 arts unless you plan to live 300 years. Only in the the movies.

Not to say other styles don't have things to offer advanced students. I do think if you are a novice of one art, you have enough to worry about.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

A MMA fighter will learn enough surface technique to get by in a ring, in the same way that a sport TKD fighter learns enough technique to win a match. Think about it: How many techniques do they really do?

Does number of techniques really matter? You also state that you think they learn "surface" techniques. In actuality, the depth comes in more with strategy. I don't think a style's superiority or inferiority is determined by a lack of complexity.

As for devoting more time to another style. I do think that we are capable, if we are willing to try. Maybe you go from 4 days a week for one style to 2 days each for each style you do. It just boils down to your allocation of time, and your willingness to understand that your advancement in each may be slowed. However, I don't think that advancement is always equal to experience gained.

Well if it was me i would go for it, you might get the two styles mixed up sometimes, but evetually youll be able to distinguish the two, and plus youll just be a better martial artist at that... I think you should just tell your teacher strait out, he will probably have his opinon either good or bad, and it really isnt his decision, but i think he might respect you more if you do talk to him abt it, but in the end it is up too you.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen