• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Tournament

Not only have I started Karate but my 4 year old does it also. Today the little dragons had their first tournament. These guys had to do one kata, and two "moves" and everyone got a trophy. So no real competition but good for them to get in front of people and build confidence. I was shocked at how well most of the kids did under pressure. The also did "board breaking" which was a re-breakable board but the kids had a blast.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2040755188_76f0d6a7c0.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2347/2039956725_49578947c9.jpg

I know some of you don't think kids should learn at this age. But if you ask them to show you what they should do if they are grabbed they know. And the most important thing is they are taught to scream bloody murder that they dont' know the person. And hey what kid doesn't need to learn a little respect and obedience.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The tournament sounds like a real confidence builder! I recently visited one similar to this. It was held by a smaller organization in NE Ohio. Everyone who participated earned a trophy and a plaque.

As far as the age goes. I believe training martial arts can begin at nearly any age. However, it's the comprehension and purpose of training that changes. For example: A small child will not be able to stop a larger adult from grabbing them. They simply are not able to overcome the strength of the person. However, as you mention, things like yelling and listening to parents and teachers (discipline) are more important. In addition, they begin to learn great coordination and build good habits in regards to self defense. This way when they are older and strong enough to apply the techniques, they already have good habits.

By the way, Welcome to the forum!! It's always good to have new people and fresh opinions around.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Looks like a fun tourney! My almost-6 year old started when he was 4 1/2, and he totally loves it. The dojo where he and I train does not do "tournaments" for that age group, but they do testing for rank advancement, which sounds a lot like your tournament...as long as they pay attention, follow instructions properly, behave themselves and give their best effort, they pass the test. I don't think 4 is too young to start at all...like you said, the important part at this age is confidence, self-respect and respect for others, and discipline. It's funny because at home my kid is a toal spazoid who won't sit still for a minute, but at the dojo he's super-focused and can't be distracted no matter how many of the other kids are goofing off. His kindegarten teacher says he's the same way at school, so for that reason, I know karate has been good for him.

When did you begin training yourself? I started 7 or 8 months ago, and it's been so awesome. I really love it and I hope you will, too. Good luck!

KGK

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL???

That sounds great!!!

When I was in a family club, we had a few kids under 6 and they were just fine- hard workers :) The kids who aren't ready don't generally stick, I dont' think.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu