• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hand Gun vs Knife

dete

Handgun vs Knife, which do you choose & why?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Handgun vs Knife, which do you choose & why?

• Handgun (do you feel lucky punk?)
    • Knife (guns don't kill people I do)
    • Neither! (I gots somethin betta!) please explain.

I carry a blade. It's convenient, easy to conceal, and I use it at work all the time. I see no point in carrying something I'm not relatively proficient with and that I wouldn't use everyday. Now, there might come a time when that changes for all I know, but right now, I'll stick with my knife.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The handgun would be the most obvious choice for the "life or death" situation, it is most likely that the majority of us will never be faced with the situation. So, the best choice in my opinion would be a small collapsable baton. Mine is about 6" closed and 18" extended. It fits easily in a jacket pocket or large pants pocket.

The greatest strength of the baton is that it allows for more control over the force delivered and the location of the impact.

The downside, alot less "stopping power" for those who do not invest the needed training time to register a disabling strike with a baton as opposed to a handgun.

One other note, if I was ever in a altercation, I would rather pull a baton as opposed to a gun, for me personally there is too much to consider in too short of a time span. With a baton I can stun the aggressor and consider my next move, but with my gun, I still have not found the "Stun" setting.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

ok so which one would you choose & why?

purposely did not add both.

The question needs more information , e.g. the environment , distance between oppoents, and having weapons out.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who trains or has trained empty-handed, with firearms, with martial arts weapons, and somewhat with knives, I can wholeheartedly say a handgun. In Texas, concealed carry is legal with a license, and I take full advantage of it. On the other hand, a small fixed blade knife is easier to deploy in some cases, so it would make a handy secondary weapon if engaged in a full-on struggle with an attacker.

As @dete so astutely put, there are factors to be considered for everyone's individual situation. When I lived in California, legal carry of a handgun was out of reach for an average citizen. In Texas, it's technically illegal for me to walk down the street with a golf club, but I can carry my handgun as long as it is concealed.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to agree with Martial_Artist here. No matter what you carry you better be well trained in using it. In other words, you remain your most important weapon.

Both have advantages and drawbacks. You guys better check your research on the knife vs. gun distance thing though. A person with a blade out has the advantage over a person with a holstered weapon from 40 feet. This was based on a study done in the military using sling rifles and holstered pistols.

If something goes down close and quick with a knife the person with the gun is at a distinct disadvantage.

As stated before, it all comes down to proper training to include appropriate empty hand tactics against both of these weapons.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• 1 month later...

Assuming that you're proficient with both, it's got to be the gun. It can be conceiled pretty easily if you dress around it and can be presented relitively quickly with practice. It has range and a track record of ending fights.

Yes, training in all sorts of things as well as integration of those skills is important. Given the choice between the two, it's a firearm all the way.

• 2 months later...

gun i guess. rather shoot than stab anyday

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ~ Bruce Lee

• 1 month later...

Its tough to pick one. I despise guns yet somehow I feel they'd be most effective. Knives can be thrown effectively if you're adept at that....

I can't answer!! :(

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

The firearm is much better than a knife in any of the scenarios you present above.

First off, most people (not all) can't throw a knife accurately to save their life. A gun is actaully easier to teach some oneto utilize successfully than a thrown knife.

Next, you have to look at the ability of a handgun to deleiver multiple penetrating trauma channels rapidly. Something that not even a well placed thown blade can do.

Last, sheer range. Enough said.

Again, as with all t hings, training is key. I think it's fine if people don't like guns. I'm a big fan, but it's certainly not the only valid viewpoint out there. That being said, for sheer destructive capability, it's the handgun (or on up ) all the way.

That being said, for sheer destructive capability, it's the handgun (or on up ) all the way.

The saying goes: "God made man; Sam Colt made 'em equal." :D