• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RYUEI RYU KARATE

troy

I am intrigued by this style and love the kata especially Ohan . I have seen a so called version on the internet but am unsure of its authenticity. There seems to be alot of mystery and unknowns about this system. I was curious as to whether anyone has more knowledge on this style to discuss further. Is this style active anywhere in the U.S. Thank you

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ryuei Ryu is an Okinawan Style. It is very authenic, yet very small. I believe it is the current style of Sakumoto sensei who ran the board of education, physical education department here in Okinawa. There are very few practitioners on the island as compared to the traditional sty;es/ The following link has some limited information. Hope this helps. http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/010/001/index.html

That is true Nago .. I found this in my search when I googled the style also Nago... Quote- There are relatively few schools of the Ryuei Ryu outside of Japan. Currently two groups that teach Ryuei Ryu in North America. One group, the Okinawa Ryuhokai, led by Tomohiro Arashiro of San Diego, California (an Okinawan that claims to have been taught while as enrolled as a middle school student for a few years in Okinawa) teaches a very popular sport based version of the art, modified for competitive situations by Tsuguo Sakumoto, a former student of Kenko Nakaima. The other group, led by Grant Campbell of New York City (practitioner of oriental medicine and a former international champion of both Kata and full contact Kumite), the Ryuei Ryu Karate Kobudo Association is a private organization that more closely maintains the original teachings of the Nakaima family. http://www.usakaratedo.com/grant.htm

http://www.ryueiryu.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

I believe the timeline is inaccurate on the Ryuho Kai site.

What do you think Nago ?? Thank you for your your input.. This site is kind of quiet..

I really do not know much about the style. I have lived in Okinawa going on 22 years, but Ryuei Ryu kind of keeps to itself. Sakumoto sensei is wellknown. He used to coach a high school karate team here. They were the first team to win the all Japan high school Kata championship, but they were using superiempe from Goju-Ryu. He than left to run the board of education. I am not sure what he is up to now. As far as a timeline I would have to refer to the Okinawan website I clipped earlier. That is pretty much all the research I have done on that style. Sorry cant be of more help.

I am interested in the kata as well. The problem is that from the clips I have seen online you can tell that their are people who are making up some of their own techniques in the katas.. The internet is not the best place to look for answers I am realizing more and more. Their are so many people taking credit and fooling people for their own gain. I wish we could go back to the old way of martial arts without the politics don't you agree?? Good luck on your search anyhow...