• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you define a good teacher?

I wanted to see the different ways in which people define a good teacher.

What is his/her teaching style, is (s)he strict, humorous, does (s)he connect with his/her students or just get through the material, how does (s)he teach the material? How do the students feel about him/her?

It's a tough question I'll admit, so if you prefer, tell me about a good MA teacher that you've had or seen.

Basically, the way I teach may depend on what we actually need to work on. I allways have a standard routine I go through till the kicks and punches start looking good, then we advance a bit on what I teach. But, we go back and forth from a standard karate class to more of a boxing class and also teaching how to get better tone. So basically I teach in a format that produces professional athletes.

Author of "WarriorRage KickBoxing"

President of the WarriorRage KickBoxing Federation

https://www.wrkf.us

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say for the best teacher, someone who could communicate well, and adapt to each student without sacrificing the class as a whole. He/She would be someone enjoyable to be around and someone you could look up to.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Basically, the way I teach may depend on what we actually need to work on. I allways have a standard routine I go through till the kicks and punches start looking good, then we advance a bit on what I teach. But, we go back and forth from a standard karate class to more of a boxing class and also teaching how to get better tone. So basically I teach in a format that produces professional athletes.

That sounds like a great setup. Welcome to the Forums! :karate:

Being able to explain how to do Jun-tsuki / Oi-tsuki well. And making it make sense.

How to move well and to get his/her students to replicate them

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

First, knowing something is different from being able to teach someone, as was stated here earlier. I have been the student of some incredibly intelligent people who couldn't teach a pre-schooler how to tie velcro shoes.

I have found the most captivating, and beneficial teachers had an "infectious passion" for their art. This usually was shown in a dynamic, humorous personality that struck a balance with fair discipline and an ability to push students farther than they thought possible.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

• 2 weeks later...
First, knowing something is different from being able to teach someone, as was stated here earlier. I have been the student of some incredibly intelligent people who couldn't teach a pre-schooler how to tie velcro shoes.

I have found the most captivating, and beneficial teachers had an "infectious passion" for their art. This usually was shown in a dynamic, humorous personality that struck a balance with fair discipline and an ability to push students farther than they thought possible.

wow im pretty sure you nailed that in your last few sentances. and yes knowing things says nothing about your teaching ability. i am the only instructor of my rank at my school and theres about five others at my rank, one is a huge man, with a my way or the highway attitude and when he doesnt like what youre doing or how your stance looks he steps on you, let me tell you he's going to step on the wrong person someday. and another one is an over zealous female who has so much enthusiasm and is so excited to teach that shes obnoxious. and do both of them know what THEY are doing? absolutely. can the teach worth a hill of beans? nope. great points and nicely said clouddragon!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• 2 weeks later...

Be ware of playing favorites, or anti-favorites.

One of our sensei's has an obvious dislike for a student he feels 'doesn't try'. He pounds on him (yellow belt) and picks on him. On the other hand his (sensei's) wife is also in the class and he pays far more attention to her than other students. For example he'll watch 4 people do the same kata and the critiques will go, one for wife, one for the other three in general, one for wife, one for other three in general etc. She's a very good karate-ka, but that's partly due to her always receiving specific feedback on all of her tecniques while the rest of us just try to apply the general stuff to ourselves. It's a small class, so there is plenty of time to critique everyone in detail.

Some of the things that I try to do and have seen in other teachers that I admire are:

1. Keep the whole class motivated. It is too easy to teach the good students and forget the average student.

2. Adapt teaching style to student. Some learn by hearing, some by seeing and some you have to physically move their body to make them understand the movement.

3. Maintain a sense of humor and fun during class without giving up control. This is very hard to do.

Some of the things that I try to do and have seen in other teachers that I admire are:

1. Keep the whole class motivated. It is too easy to teach the good students and forget the average student.

2. Adapt teaching style to student. Some learn by hearing, some by seeing and some you have to physically move their body to make them understand the movement.

3. Maintain a sense of humor and fun during class without giving up control. This is very hard to do.

Excellent points, especially the first one. I always tell the younger black belts who get frustrated with teaching some of the orientations that it is always easy to teach the talented students. Teaching everyone else takes someone special.