• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you allow parents to watch?

wow i like that idea. i do that with the clock sometimes, its removable and when i see kids watching it, i toss it(or occasionly round kick it off the wall :brow: )

Yeah it seems people get distracted a lot lately. Especially at our school. I usually come for the youth class at 6 and stay for the 30 min. sparring session between the youth and adult classes and then stay for the adult class (quite a workout :) ). But sometimes in that youth class, these little kids just start bouncing off the walls and get distracted over every little thing and then there are some that just want to do what they want to do.

Give it your best.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering what your various policies were regarding allowing the parents of your students to watch the classes.

We have a very relaxed policy - ie. ANYONE can watch...

It usually works really well, but occasionally we have people who abuse our 'hospitality' (bringing noisy babies/ toddlers + talking loudly to other perents)

Yesterday for example we had a mum with 5 kids (only 2 were training) and the other 3 were running riot into the equipment - shouting- playing and really making a nuisance of themselves.

I kept looking over to the mother and she acted like she couldn't see or hear them!

Disgusting!

I know someone should confront individuals like this - but they are usually the type to fight about it...

Unsure how to handle these situations - we definately don't want to alienate paying customers - but something has got to be done...

I'm sure this has happened to others. How do you handle these situations?

Are you the Sensei? If not, then say something to the Sensei. This behavior needs to be controlled by the parent(s). If you're the Sensei, then YOU need to control your dojo both off and on the floor! This mom needs to respect everyone, Sensei/Instructors/students/parents/guests!

If you're the Sensei then you have to know how to manage customers. Yes they're paying customers...but these paying customers have to know that you're running a dojo not Romper Room. Customer service is essential but who needs this particular customer? You don't! Take her into your office, sit down with this mom, lay out all of your expectations, your do's and don'ts, instruct her to control her kids because you're running a dojo which is a business. If she can't follow the plan...dismiss her, her kids, and your student(s) (her children). Be the consumate professional at all times. This advise also applies to noisy babies and loud visiting parents...respect the dojo, Sensei, and the students who are training and learning. If not, there's the door!

Your bottom line will not be affected if you remain respectful and professional!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!