• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's the best product for learning a foreign language

bigpopparob2000

I'd like to start learning Russian for a certain career opportunity a little ways down the road. Has anyone ever used the Rosetta Stone learning systems? If so, what is your opinion of its effectiveness? Is there another system I should consider?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i havent used them but everything i have heard is that its an excellent learning tool. i want to get the one for japanese to learn that.

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

-Booker T. Washington

That's awesome that you are beginning to study a new language! I've been studying Mandarin for a few years, and found that Rosetta Stone was just at the right level for me, so I think that it helps in that program to have a little background.

I do have another suggestion! Pimsleur is great Ipod or car listening, and a little easier.

Honestly, RS is going to teach you more, but you may want to get started with Pimsleur so the Rosetta Stone time you put in is more productive.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I'd like to start learning Russian for a certain career opportunity a little ways down the road. Has anyone ever used the Rosetta Stone learning systems? If so, what is your opinion of its effectiveness? Is there another system I should consider?

I recently ordered the demo CD, and it seems pretty good. But some of the languages are better than others. For instance, the Polish and Korean are only at version 2 and only have the basic level available. While Spanish and German are at version 3 and have 3 levels available.

You can go to the website and try out the online demo for each to see how well you pick up some of the basics.

I'm still trying to decide which language to go with.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

You can go to the website and try out the online demo for each to see how well you pick up some of the basics.

I've tried the online demo, but I just wanted to hear a reaction from someone who's actually used the system. It's hard to form an opinion based on a single sample exercise.

Maybe I was confusing before- I have used the real system. Like I said, it's good, but I think that you'll get the most out of it if you have some sort of foundation, like using the Pimsleur or getting an "on tape" sort of thing.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 2 weeks later...

never having used the rosetta stone means that i cant make any comments from personal experience yet the reviews do sound favorable. the method i used for learning the japanese consisted of taking classes and making an effort to pick up terms in karate class. the best overall learning tool seemed to be enguaging in conversation with others that speak the language. that was possible for me as i work for a company that is japanese owned and deal with others every day that are native to that country. that might be more difficult considering that russian is not so common. have you considered taking courses at some local colledge?

I've used Rosetta Stone for German and French. The Government uses it to teach their, diplomat's as well as the translator's. As a part of the military I get to use it free so I dabble all the time with different languages just for fun. I found it really helped my German while I was in Germany and while I"m still rubbish at speaking it I understand well over half of what I hear. If you put more time into it than I did I think you could really get far with the program.