• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd like to see whatever sweeps from half-guard you know.

That's alot of sweeps. The halfguard is a very dynamic position. I think the best thing would be for me to have my instructor demonstrate those. Halfguard is his specialty. This one will take a while, but I'll get it for you.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leglocks are my weakness....I'd like to see some Kneebars and leglocks from different positions

Welcome to the Forum!! Ankle locks, heel hooks and knee bars happen to be something I love! They are almost always available if you're looking for the quick submission. Especially when passing the guard. The other nice thing is that they work both with and without the gi rather equally.

This week I'm pretty busy. I have to go paint my mother's house :( But I'll put together a few more next week and try to have them posted by Christmas!

I'm likely to post one or two half guard sweeps and two really sneaky ankle/ heel attacks.

Ok guys. Here is a great technique. It's technical and will take some practice. The important thing is learning to keep your weight on the opponent. However, once yo can do that, this armbar is a great option. It's able to be done both gi and no-gi. Here, it's demonstrated by my instructor, Tony Rinaldi. He has been training BJJ for 13 years and also has black belts in Aiki Jujitsu and Shotokan. He wears a purple belt because we've only been associated with Pedro Sauer for 4.5 years. Trust me when I tell you he is much more skilled than that.

Here's the armbar.

• 2 weeks later...

What techniques you use the most on people of your skill level and higher. spefically with postional control from the top, as well as sweeps you use the most with guard, any type of guard.

Also your your thoughts and insights on basic techniques, mount control, arm bars, triangle chokes, that you know now that you wish you knew when you first started.

I found that it may take me awhile to pick up a move after I get the insights to make it work better, I find if I teach others they pick up hte move quicker then I did when I was first learning.

What techniques you use the most on people of your skill level and higher. specifically with positional control from the top, as well as sweeps you use the most with guard, any type of guard.

Also your your thoughts and insights on basic techniques, mount control, arm bars, triangle chokes, that you know now that you wish you knew when you first started.

These are good suggestions. However, that's a plethora of information. The techniques I use on people of any level do not change. That is, I have developed a way I like to move and, with some tweaks of course, that's how I will always do it. The techniques are the basics, just performed in combination. I can do vids of those combos if you like.

As far as insights go...they are very positional. Perhaps I could do some vids that simply cover positions but not necessarily techniques. I'll give this some thought. Part of the problem are the size and time constraints of youtube. My videos can be no longer than 10 minutes or 100megs. 100 megs comes fast with high quality video.

I found that it may take me awhile to pick up a move after I get the insights to make it work better, I find if I teach others they pick up the move quicker then I did when I was first learning.

This is absolutely correct. For example: Two years ago I hated the knee in belly position. Now, it's a critical portion of how I move. It's extremely dominating.

I actually envy some of the students coming into our school now. Tony, our instructor, has learned so much since I started. Stuff we did 4 years ago are virtually useless now. The guys are learning better was to do everything. The one saving grace of this is that we had to learn through experience, they do not have the luxury of that experience for themselves, just the end result.

Anyway, this week I'll be teaching a few halfguard techniques. I'll be sure to record them and try to have them available soon (maybe next sunday). Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

Thanks for the response ps1. Aweosme!

I know I asked a big question that can cover alot of points and be very time consuming. Since asking to show your game there is alot to it.

I was thinking more, of things you had a hard time with at first. Example Knee on belly you mentioned were you didn't like it before. How about vid on why you like it things you learned about it, and common mistakes you see in those who don't understand that postion yet.

For example triangle chokes I hated I couldn't finish before, but then I learned diffrent ways of setting the triangle up, as well as the big part for me was when I actually get into the triangle postion on some one, is to how to finish it, especially when they try to poster up, or stack me or other counters they try to escape from that postion.

Yeah it is amazing to see how the new people catch on so quickly. That shows the teaching ability of the instructor as well as the detailed and good feed back the senior students give to the new guys. Its awesome!

Thank you ps1 for sharing your thoughts and ideas with us.