• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Empty hand striking abilities of FMA.

imo,

a good FMA person will start to look like a boxer in empty hand movements & he will incorportate boxing.

Same with Wing Chun, & Karate. This is just my opinion :)

This does not mean however that Boxing is the best hand style.

And esp. doesn't mean that Boxer's have the best method or path so to speak.

If a couch potato decides one day they want to learn self-defense by getting good with their hands and goes to a boxing gym, good luck, I doubt he will last 3 days.

On the other hand if you go to a martial art school I think the couch potato will have a better chance of changing his life style.

once again, I realize I'm in a touchy area for many people,

just my opinion ok.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see FMA striking resembling boxing other than by using the hands for striking- the footwork is very different, the strikes usually occur with trapping, and the arm motions are different.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I dont see FMA striking resembling boxing other than by using the hands for striking- the footwork is very different, the strikes usually occur with trapping, and the arm motions are different.

ok that's your opinion I respect that.

I think as a practitioner gets better he will move away from a rigid form and look more natural. In the end we are just humans moving, defending attacking.

here is a video of what looks like a FMA group training in the Philipines

there are more videos of them & other FMA groups doing ground techniques as well to show that they are evolving.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just showing that I didn't just make up the info, you can say these are radical FMA groups & not the norm, I'm not trying to convince anyone,

in the end it's just my opinion.

-peace

If a couch potato decides one day they want to learn self-defense by getting good with their hands and goes to a boxing gym, good luck, I doubt he will last 3 days.

On the other hand if you go to a martial art school I think the couch potato will have a better chance of changing his life style.

I don't really agree with you here. If someone starts out Boxing, from no prior experience, they probably aren't going to spend much time doing anything other than drilling on bags, pads, etc. They won't get much into sparring early on, and if they do, it won't be heavy. They won't be thrown to the wolves, so to speak. They will also spend time working on conditioning. In the end, I think that Boxing would have a lot to offer a "couch potato."

here is a video of what looks like a FMA group training in the Philipines

The weapons work at the beginning looked like what I expected. The hand techniques did look something like boxing, but they looked to incorporate some of the trapping and slipping drills that are involved in FMA as well.

I don't really agree with you here. In the end, I think that Boxing would have a lot to offer a "couch potato."

hmmm, maybe because when I went to a boxing gym, it was a long time ago and things were more hardcore back then, also maybe cause I went to a pro-gym?

the workout was REALLY hard and I thought I was in shape.

I couldn't lift my arms after the 1st day. And I got challenged as well,

the head coach who is a "name" was willing to let it go, even though

I had no prior boxing experience. I think he wanted to see what I was made of.

oh well those were the days :P

I think a good punch doesnt equal boxing perse. Although boxing does have devastating punches, other martial arts have their own kind of punching to get their desired effects:

Karate- the rotation of the punch from the chambered position maximizes the speed and force of the blow- even if it seems unpractical to the outsider

Wing Chun- the vertical punch employed in this style allows for shorter, more structurally stable punch. Also, according to their own theory, the vertical punch is easier to root, making it faster while well rooted.

Xing Yi- the punch does not close tightly and one of the knuckles will be more prominent, as if making an arrow-head. their strikes are as if using a spear- the hits are as if using your fist like a hammer.

I'm pretty sure other styles have their reason for punching the way they do. Although Boxing is great, not everyone will see the movement of boxing as "optimal" for their particular style.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I don't really agree with you here. In the end, I think that Boxing would have a lot to offer a "couch potato."

hmmm, maybe because when I went to a boxing gym, it was a long time ago and things were more hardcore back then, also maybe cause I went to a pro-gym?

the workout was REALLY hard and I thought I was in shape.

I couldn't lift my arms after the 1st day. And I got challenged as well,

the head coach who is a "name" was willing to let it go, even though

I had no prior boxing experience. I think he wanted to see what I was made of.

oh well those were the days :P

That may have been just the way that particular gym was. Especially being a pro-gym, it may have been a bit rougher. I am sure that there are some MA schools out there like that as well.

That may have been just the way that particular gym was. Especially being a pro-gym, it may have been a bit rougher. I am sure that there are some MA schools out there like that as well.

what I'm trying to say is that,

and it maybe the def. is what your misunderstanding.

when people ask me what school I recommend and such,

the easy way to give them a solid answer to be helpful & not confusing

saying something like, depends... blah blah blah

I go with,

a gym is tougher than a school.

gym = competitive sport

school = learning

sure there are lots of exceptions, grey areas, overlaps.