• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The most impractical weapon?

AikiGuy

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I started reading it because I was looking for an idea as to which weapon to start to train. That is why I was questioning as to why the bo was so easily dismissed as a viable weapon.

At first I was thinking the bo would be a good choice because of the similar items easily found in society (broom handle, etc.). You folks bring up good points with respects to the pro and con of the various weapons.

My next choice would be the tonfa because I could just toss them on the rear floorboard of the car and most people would not notice them or even know what they were. The sai would be my third choice only because they look like a weapon.

With all that in mind I am thinking of just getting a set of tonfa for now....a bo would not fit in my car very well: '74 VW Beetle.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinan Sandan teahes an application to the left then the same application is trained turning to the rear.It is not a preplanned map of one possible attack of mulitiple attackers.Kata and combat are not different at all.Kata is a series of technique put together in a pattern to insure the ease of practicing important applications without the possability of forgetting some of them.Kata is most certainly not only one possable fight from beginning to end that is foolish.

I must admit I have not been in many street fights or competitions in a ring.But I am an ex airborne ranger with 101st airborne division 159th air assault battalion in the Viet Nam struggle and saw plenty of action there as well as spending several years as seargeant at arms for a motorcycle club. I also was engaged as a bouncer for a local pub on a few occasions and served as a body guard a few times for a well known model.The local swat team has trained at my dojo on a few occasions also.I have been teaching karate for twenty seven years,and practicing for several more than that.

I do not train to avoid a conflict,I train to end a confrontation as quickly and efficiently as possible.I live a lifestyle that reduces the likleyhood of finding myself in a bad situation if at all possable.

Ask your teacher if a kata is one fight against multiple attackers and is only good if the attackers follow the kata.

I will not address the rank issue directly.I will only say I have been ranked in several styles at higher levels than I modestly feel comfortable discussing.

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

The staff can actually have quite a few weapons applications. In Medieval Europe, some systems began training with the staff, as many of its movements and wards translate to those of the sword as well.

It is true that it can be grabbed, but you should have the leverage advantage on your end, if you hold it right.

I am also of the opinion that the staff is best utilized when held at the last quarter of the weapon, as opposed to the middle of the weapon. That way, you maximize your range and leverage.

Practical today? Maybe not. But some of the concepts do transfer. Personally, I would like to spend time with the stick.

• 1 month later...
I would have to say that any weapon you throw (shuriken, throwing knives etc.) would have to be the least practical because once you use it its gone.

Unless its attached to a chain. Or some sort of rope. But the least practical I would have to say, in which one that I WOULD NEVER USE to defend my self. it would have to be....

claymore. They are alot heavier than the katana, but for non bladed it would have to be....

Chisai Kun. Cause you need to get close.

but for overall...

it would have to be the Pundao...i mean who the heck would be able to use that in a real fight, and who would be able to carry it around all the time haha.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku