• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The most impractical weapon?

AikiGuy

Ok we all know how useful and versatile the sword, bo staff, etc. can be. But some weapons are just not very practical. I realize some traditional weapons were improvised long ago from whatever was available. So kudos to them for ingenuity. But given the choice, what weapon would you not want to take into battle against other weapons. Think armed tournament with your choice of any non-projectile weapon(s).

For me it's a tie between the Nunchaku and the Sai. The nunchaku has speed and versatility but does not have solidity. Since it is a flexible weapon, it offers very limited blocking ability and only so-so striking reach. The Sai is good at blocking but does not have much length either. It also requires you to switch the way you grip it as you go from one movement to another (block w/ handle out, then strike w/ blade out). This can be a costly slowdown in a fight (real or practice).

So what's your least favorite (in practical terms) weapon? Discuss.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you talk about practicality, I think of being attacked in general, and having something to defend yourself with. The chance of someone carrying a sword or even a bo out in public are slim. Therefore, knowing how to use them won't help a lot, unless you find a nearby stick that you can improvise as such.

So, the easiest and most practical to carry, would be a knife, I think.

Now, if you are talking about a tournament format, in which we can bring whatever we want, I think it would be hard to argue with the range of a staff weapon, like a spear or even quarterstaff. The point you make about the sai being difficult to use makes sense to me. I also think that the utility of the knife could go down some, if the longer weapons start to show up. Also, a metal fan would not be worth much either, I think. Nunchuku would not be practical either, in my opinion.

I haven't really had any extensive training in any weapons but I don't think I'd want to take in anything meant to be used as a projectile like shruiken, once you've ran out you'd be stuck, whether it was a tournament or a street situation.

Barring projectile weapons, I'd agree with AikiGuy on not using chain-linked weapons like the nunchuku or even the 3 sectional staff. The links just make them unpredictable when striking something solid.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The nunchaku has speed and versatility but does not have solidity. Since it is a flexible weapon, it offers very limited blocking ability and only so-so striking reach.

Limited blocking ability? Sorry, but you're wrong. The nunchauku has excellent blocking abilities against empty handed attacks, as well as against weapons. You just need to know how to use them. As for reach...typically, the nunchauku gives you an added 2 FEET of reach over yoru normal hand length. That's considerable better than a knife, sai, tonfa and many other weapons.

The Sai is good at blocking but does not have much length either. It also requires you to switch the way you grip it as you go from one movement to another (block w/ handle out, then strike w/ blade out). This can be a costly slowdown in a fight (real or practice).

Again, this all depends on if you know how to use the weapon or not. In most "real" fight scenerios, one sai is out while the other is in. Both can block, both can strike...keep the closed sai out front, the extendede on as the power weapon.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I think the question was least practical, right?

I'd vote for the zanbatou being discussed in another thread. Great for an anime series, but too dang heavy and awkward for real situations.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Oh yeah...least practical...probably the tonfa (Okinawan weapons anyway). It's a good weapon in general, but has limitations against weapons such as knives. It's more designed for defense against heavy hitting weapons, such as the bo, baseball bat and the like.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

tonfa are used by a lot of modern police forces- I think that they have use. Also, shiruken aren't meant to be a primary weapon as it is hard to deal a killing blow with one. I'd have to say probably the rope dart or war fan. In japan, war fans were mostly used for signaling anyways.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

tonfa are used by a lot of modern police forces

Are you referring to the modified billy clubs that aren't really tonfa, but resemble them? If not, I'll just add that piece in as well.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

tonfa are used by a lot of modern police forces

Are you referring to the modified billy clubs that aren't really tonfa, but resemble them? If not, I'll just add that piece in as well.

I think he talking more about a PR-54 or something like that.