• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Double bone block.

martialartsresearcher

With respect Sensei's and Sempai's

I thought best defense is not to be there. ie tai sabaki as practiced in Goju Ryu, Wado Ryu , Enshin Karate and especially Ashihara Karate

Osu

Tai sabaki is practiced in Shorin-ryu as well. But the purposes of blocks all fall back to intention of the defender. Ideally, the best defense is to not be in range. But if you are out of their range, odds are they're out of yours as well unless you have a destinctive reach advantage. That would make an immediate (or simultaneous) counter strike nearly impossible.

Also we actually do block with the flat of the arm we just add a twist i make contact and then twist in the hope that it will move the opponents arm further away. So actually if done correctly the traditional blocks are no different.

I am gong to have to disagree merely based on technicalities.

The end position would be the same, but the actual block would be different. If you are connecting with the double bone method and then rotating your forearm, the initial contact is going to be with the thick meaty part of your forearm. The rotation to end in the same position would only serve as an attempt to guide their arm away as you state. This blocking method will reduce the initial impact of the block as your muscles absorb some of the impact and lessen the amount of energy you would transfer to your opponent.

The single bone method advocates creating that initial impact with the side of your forearm so your radius bone impacts your opponents arm, transferring more energy and force into your opponent's limb.

Similar, yes. The same, no.

I dont really want to get into a discussion of what is the correct technique but the only difference is the twist at the end as far as I have been taught and in my experience so I can only really go on that, but if i was to just block with the radius and create the intial impact with that bone then I would have broken my wrist many times as stated in the article this way would hurt therefore I would never use it.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I dont really want to get into a discussion of what is the correct technique but the only difference is the twist at the end as far as I have been taught and in my experience so I can only really go on that, but if i was to just block with the radius and create the intial impact with that bone then I would have broken my wrist many times as stated in the article this way would hurt therefore I would never use it.

Nor do I. What I am trying to point out is the difference between the two blocks. What you described in your previous post was blocking with the wide meaty side and then rotating your arm into an end position after contact was made - transversing from the double bone upon intial contact and ending in single bone position. A single bone block is contacting solely with the radius bone.

Whether you feel more comfortable or not with which block is not a debate I'm wanting to get into. Rather I was merely trying to point out that the double bone block as discussed in the article and the "traditional" single bone blocks are not the same, even if they end in the same position.

It would be like person 1 can drive a car facing north at point A for one mile and end up at point B. Then person 2, starting from the same point A, can drive a car facing south in reverse for one mile and end up at the same point B claiming both trips were the same. Both will start and end in the same position but the drives were not identical.

Also, just on a side note, if a single bone block is perform, the striking area is with the radius bone in your forearm, you wouldn't break your wrist if performed correctly.

With respect Sensei's and Sempai's

I thought best defense is not to be there. ie tai sabaki as practiced in Goju Ryu, Wado Ryu , Enshin Karate and especially Ashihara Karate

Osu

Yes, this is a good point. However, in a perfect world, it would be all you needed. But, as stated, sometimes you have to block, and if you do, then you want it to do some damage. However, if you are going immediately on the defensive (like being jumped, and just have time to cover), then I think that this double bone block can serve to help there.

1. You can break the radius using the block. However, it would likely have to be an impact centered on the bone (weakest and thinest point) and perpendicular to it. Also, it depends on the bone density of the person doing the block.

2. Of couse Tai Sabaki is preferable. However, if that were as easy as some want you to believe, don't you think boxers would use more of it? Their bob & weave is a type of tai sabaki, but everyone gets hit in a fight. If you want to make an omlet, you have to break a few eggs. If you want to survive in combat, you are very likely to get hit. The question then is where do you want to get hit? I would rather it be the arm than my face.

3. As far as double vs. single... they are not the same technique. A double bone block is going to be better at absorbing the blow due to the increased surface area and musculature. The single is better for causing damage and striking.

To me, comparing the two is like saying an apple makes better juice than an orange. I would answer by asking if you would rather have orange juice or apple juice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

To me, comparing the two is like saying an apple makes better juice than an orange. I would answer by asking if you would rather have orange juice or apple juice.

Exactly.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• 2 weeks later...