• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Double bone block.

martialartsresearcher

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Turns out where this author teaches at is about twenty mintues from my house. I might have to stop up some time and check his class out.

Personally, I don't put a lot of credence in the double bone block myself for a few reasons.

First, as the author states, the top of the forearm is padded with thick muscle. While this is most certainly true, in the Okinawan styles I've studied (both past and present), I was never taught to execute a block for the purposes of meeting an attack and stopping it. Rather, blocks were used for intercepting attacks and striking, preferly through, the opponents limb(s) at the same time.

Which leads into why traditional Okinawan blocks are performed with the single bone. Since all blocks are actually strikes, the single bone with less muscular structure on the sides, provides a better striking surface than using a wider flater thicker (read: more cushioning between bodies to re-absorb energy your body would be generating) double bone block. By utilizing a smaller striking area, the forearm allows for more of a slicing action over that of a clubbing by a double bone block. Think of it why don't you use the side of a sword or strike your opponent, its certainly wider than the blade.

Also, the author states that the double bone block has an advantage because of the skeletal and muscular structure of the body. Since the double bone block he displays in photo for an upper block is much more similar to the upper blocks I'm used to seeing and doing, I'm going to gloss over that as although there are differences, I think he's on the right path with that . Taking it to the middle block, I will concede that the muscular structure of a double bone block is stronger than a single bone, however since blocks are not static in nature, the muscular structure of your body will have a lesser of an impact on whether a block is successful. Muscular resistance from a static position can help gauge biomechanical advantages, but the largest factors in whether a block will be successful will fall back to both intent and force generated. The same thing goes with the lower block as well.

Even the story the author relates about breaking his forearm falls into this category. When the author slipped on the wooden bridge his intention was not to drive through the wooden railing, rather his intention was to catch himself to prevent the fall or, failing that, absorb the blow. I would be willing to bet that his attempt to catch himself, while it may have followed the path of a lower block, didn't have anywhere near the force behind it that it would have had he actually executed a block. This did allow more energy to travel directly to the bone creating the break. Had the author actually used a double bone like method to catch himself, he might have not suffered as serious of an injury upon the fall (as it would be more fitting to absorb the energy over a single bone).

Take it back to the sword example and why you don't block or strike with the flat of the blade. It's not the intention of the weapon.

Can the double bone block be effective, absolutely, especially when your aim is to block and absorb rather than strike back. Should it be a staple blocking mechanism - not in my opinion (note: I know the author is not stating this either, just making a point).

I think that the techniques demonstrated in the article have merit. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

In a purley defensive nature, I think that the double bone block looks good, especially for covers and what not. However, bearich makes a good point here:

Since all blocks are actually strikes, the single bone with less muscular structure on the sides, provides a better striking surface than using a wider flater thicker (read: more cushioning between bodies to re-absorb energy your body would be generating) double bone block.

In my school, we are taught that "blocks are strikes, and strikes are blocks."

One technicality I would correct, if I may:

Take it back to the sword example and why you don't block or strike with the flat of the blade. It's not the intention of the weapon.

In actuality, you wouldn't block with the thin side of the blade of a sword; the flat is used, but possibly at a 45 degree angle. However, the sword is different than the arms, to an extent. You don't have to worry about knicking the blade up on your arm. :wink:

My style teaches both ways to block. We do mostly one-bone blocks for defending against hand strikes but we also learn two-bone blocks for defenses against very hard attacks like a baseball bat or a kick. It certainly does have a purpose.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

My style teaches both ways to block. We do mostly one-bone blocks for defending against hand strikes but we also learn two-bone blocks for defenses against very hard attacks like a baseball bat or a kick. It certainly does have a purpose.

You beat me to it...but exactly what I would have said. The double bone block is just that...a block, not an offensive strike. It allows more blocking area to absorb a blow than a single bone block.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

With respect Sensei's and Sempai's

I thought best defense is not to be there. ie tai sabaki as practiced in Goju Ryu, Wado Ryu , Enshin Karate and especially Ashihara Karate

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I have always been taught that the side forarm blocks can also be used as strikes which they can. The flat forearm block is a block, it could not be used as effectivly if it was used as a strike. Also we actually do block with the flat of the arm we just add a twist i make contact and then twist in the hope that it will move the opponents arm further away. So actually if done correctly the traditional blocks are no different.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

With respect Sensei's and Sempai's

I thought best defense is not to be there. ie tai sabaki as practiced in Goju Ryu, Wado Ryu , Enshin Karate and especially Ashihara Karate

Osu

Tai sabaki is practiced in Shorin-ryu as well. But the purposes of blocks all fall back to intention of the defender. Ideally, the best defense is to not be in range. But if you are out of their range, odds are they're out of yours as well unless you have a destinctive reach advantage. That would make an immediate (or simultaneous) counter strike nearly impossible.

Also we actually do block with the flat of the arm we just add a twist i make contact and then twist in the hope that it will move the opponents arm further away. So actually if done correctly the traditional blocks are no different.

I am gong to have to disagree merely based on technicalities.

The end position would be the same, but the actual block would be different. If you are connecting with the double bone method and then rotating your forearm, the initial contact is going to be with the thick meaty part of your forearm. The rotation to end in the same position would only serve as an attempt to guide their arm away as you state. This blocking method will reduce the initial impact of the block as your muscles absorb some of the impact and lessen the amount of energy you would transfer to your opponent.

The single bone method advocates creating that initial impact with the side of your forearm so your radius bone impacts your opponents arm, transferring more energy and force into your opponent's limb.

Similar, yes. The same, no.

This is a matter of semantics. Sometimes the best defense for the situation is a block. It is possible to be in a situation where you cannot use evasion tactics. What if you are grappling with an attacker and each of you has only 1 hand free. You cannot use tai sabaki effectively to simply move away if you are being held. What if you need to move to your left to get away and there are people or furniture or a brick wall to your left? What's the best defense then? If all you know is tai sabaki, you will get clobbered.

Yes of course evading is better when it is an option. It's just not always possible. So if the only available option is to block (if you cannot evade), what is the best solution? This is my interpretation of the topic. In that case, the two blocks mentioned here are both good. But each is better for a different type of attack.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.