• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need some advice bad.

Sam_Knight

I am thinking of joining Karate again, I did it for a couple years when i was very young. But now i realize that all the schools around where i live are, well "McDojos" or "black belt mills", I don't feel that the masters at either school are truly knowledgeable in the art of karate. Not that I am, but recently i saw in the paper that one master awarded an obease 12 year old girl a black belt. And I know other children have gotten them as well, and most likely if i trained their for a year i could have one as well.

I know this can not be the right way Karate is taught. Personally i would like to learn some Judo or Jiu Jitsu, but there are no schools near me which teach these styles.

I guess my question is should i join one of these Karate schools around me? I want to train and get exersise and spar again, but i feel like i would be learning something that true masters around the world would mock. Hell, I'm kind of mocking it but there is no where else to go.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If those schools are your only option, you may have to settle for one. I would go to each school and view their classes at least a few times. Be sure to watch the classes in which your age group is taught. Talk with the instructor to get a feel for the teacher and his/her teaching philosophy.

Even though these schools may not be the best option you will most likely learn something there (as well as get the opportunity to exercise and spar).

Ed

Ed

Ed is right. Check them out, and see what you think. In the end, worry more about your own training and advancement than that of others you work out with. This will serve you better in the end.

Welcome to the Forums, and to the Martial Arts! :karate:

• 1 month later...

many places need to conduct a business, and that aspect unfortunately becomes stronger than the art.

But if you overlook that, it maybe tolerable.

If it is tolerable, you can train there and it's really up to you to make

your karate good quality.

You just might postively influence your school to pick up the level!

My Dad told me once, if your willing, you can learn even from a bad

example. You will definitely learn what not to do :D

I'm in agreement with the people here- check it out and see if one has elements that you like.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 2 months later...
I am thinking of joining Karate again, I did it for a couple years when i was very young. But now i realize that all the schools around where i live are, well "McDojos" or "black belt mills", I don't feel that the masters at either school are truly knowledgeable in the art of karate. Not that I am, but recently i saw in the paper that one master awarded an obease 12 year old girl a black belt. And I know other children have gotten them as well, and most likely if i trained their for a year i could have one as well.

I know this can not be the right way Karate is taught. Personally i would like to learn some Judo or Jiu Jitsu, but there are no schools near me which teach these styles.

I guess my question is should i join one of these Karate schools around me? I want to train and get exersise and spar again, but i feel like i would be learning something that true masters around the world would mock. Hell, I'm kind of mocking it but there is no where else to go.

Its good to learn as much as you can , fill your mind with information. So i say do wateva school that is around you and then in the future when someone says have you done thing "blah lbah blah" your can say yes! and give advice. And also be able to use it.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.