• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to this and need help!

BVISS

I just started about 3 weeks ago and i'm doing alot better then i thought I would. My problem is kicks, I'm the most inflexable person in the world, i've never been able to even touch my toes. I can do a front kick but i just feel like i'll never be able to do a side or roundhouse kick, those kicks are only like 2 feet off the ground and it's frustrating. Any tips?????

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all, wecome to KarateForums, and welcome to the Martial Arts! :karate:

In order to improve your flexibility, spend a lot of time stretching. Perhaps 20 minutes per day, if you can. Try to do a good warm-up before hand, so that the muscles are nice and supple. Ask your instructor for a list of stretching exercises to perform, and ask him to demonstrate them for you, too.

Flexibility will come with time. Unfortunately, there is no magic pill for it, you just have to work hard, and it will come.

Best of luck, and enjoy the journey! :karate:

The flexibility will come over time, as bushido_man said. Having only three weeks of training under your belt, you shouldn't worry to much about your lack of flexibility right now. The roundhouse kick, in particular, can feel awkward at first. You really have to gain flexibility in the hip area to do that kick properly. I don't know what your instructor wants, but I always tell new students not to worry so much about the elevation of the kick but to focus on the form of the kick (pivoting properly, kicking with the correct part of the foot, pulling the foot back quickly after kicking, and maintaining proper balance) and keeping the guard up while kicking. I have seen students try hard to get a high kick and let their form slip thus picking up bad habits in the process (like letting their hands drop down to their sides while kicking).

Ed

Ed

I don't know what your instructor wants, but I always tell new students not to worry so much about the elevation of the kick but to focus on the form of the kick (pivoting properly, kicking with the correct part of the foot, pulling the foot back quickly after kicking, and maintaining proper balance) and keeping the guard up while kicking.

Absolutley right. This is what is important. Besides that, a good knee-level kick will serve you better than any head-level kick.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above posts.

If you want more flexibility I do suggest a book by Bill "Superfoot " Wallace entitled"Dynamic Stretching and Kicking" it is a good all around book for stretching. Be patient it will come in time. Also remember it is also about muscle control. Try practicing your kicks in slow motion. You won't be able to kick high(not important) but you will have great control and technique.

Good luck

Karate..........The weaponless weapon........

• 2 months later...

as a high kicker myself and a practitioner of a high kicking style i have to say reps will do it. as well as kicking with weighted vests(start at about 30-35lbs) and ankle weights(start with 3-5lbs). i'd also suggest rip cords and simply stretching everyday, it truly does help. and lastly, doing kicks, holding onto a wall, very very slowly. good luck! and welcome to MAs!they're a blast, i promise!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• 3 weeks later...
I just started about 3 weeks ago and i'm doing alot better then i thought I would. My problem is kicks, I'm the most inflexable person in the world, i've never been able to even touch my toes. I can do a front kick but i just feel like i'll never be able to do a side or roundhouse kick, those kicks are only like 2 feet off the ground and it's frustrating. Any tips?????

Welcome to the martial arts.

The key to flexabilty is streching, strech before and after training and this will help your flexabilty increase. Also there are many types of equipment out there that can help with flexability , you just have to search around.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.