• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

community/recreation center programs

Does anyone know how to go about opening a martial arts program at a rec or community center? Also anything I should be concerned about? Thanks for any help you can offer.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Several things...

Look into liability insurance requirements, know the ages you plan on teaching, you'll have to work with the rec center on fees, class times, etc. Find out about things like being able to securely store your equipment at the center, or if you'll have to bring everything back and forth each time the class meets.

I know at the rec center where I took classes, my instructor had to be flexible about the room at the center for classes when other programs needed to use the same room. He also had to contend with having classes using the same space as summer camps, and the floors not being swept before his classes. He was able to keep his freestanding kicking bags in a storage room, but not smaller items like targets etc. The bags were too big to disappear, but he had noplace available to keep the smaller items. He also could not provide any "school" sparring gear etc, for the same reason.. no place to keep it, and providing it would mean too much gear to haul back and forth.

what goes around, comes around

I would begin by speaking with the rec center about what you would like to do, and what you plan to offer. Come up with an intinerary and a sample class plan, and tell them what your goals and objectives are.

The advice given above is good as well. There will be scheduling conficts to deal with, but they will work with you. There are lots of clubs around the U.S. that get their start this way, so think positive, and see what comes around. Good luck to you! :karate:

• 5 months later...

the community center is a very good place to teach. you dont have this stress of, not enoug money, or how can i pay rent this month. the problem is, they have too many rules. you can build a really strong school just in a community center, some people never even left their place to get a building! i know one lady in my town, who is a very good teachers, and she has maybe 100 student in her community center clases. and she only teach 4 days a week, that's great.

you can also use the center for extra school and income if you have a place already, and do them both. or, you can build up your enrollment, then buy your place when your ready.

me, i started my school in 1992, at bolling air force base gym, andrews air force base and ft myers army base, before i opened my school. i was only 22 years old, no education, i dont know nothing about business, except how to fight. and wow, i taught more than 1,000 students since that time. and guess what, no kids! all adult fighters. (sorry for bragging)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure I can add anything to what's aready been said. You don't have much (if any) overhead. But insurance, storage of equipment, & not having "your space" are issues that came up in my program. Being able to lock up your gear is important. I used to run a community center program. Things would just "walk away."

I run a school from my church, now. I have a very small (but locked) space for my equipment. But I also invested in a rolling duffle bag to keep all the paperwork (insurance waivers, memberships, fees, etc.) in. I take that back & forth to home. My school is literally on wheels.

Running a school in a rent or free place can be great. But it takes a lot of planning.

All my best.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

We have done this numerous times. You have to talk to the head of rec programs, or program director, etc(they go by a million different titles) and you can express your interest in opening a class and they can tell you if the time is available and the interest is there. and if you both make a verbal agreement they talk to corporate and weeks later you'll sign paperwork. this is usually how it goes.

Things to look out for:

1) once you sign up they have NO fear of how they treat you

2) they have an attitude like they owe you nothing

3)they will frown upon you

4) they will expect a little more than normal amount of money

5) when it comes down to you or their members, it's always their members

6) if anything ever happens, that's the end of your rent

7) you'll be stuck in contracts(for however long)

8 ) you don't have storage for any of your things, and as mentioned earlier...things tend to 'walk off'

9) schedueling is also and issue, you'll find class time, but if you want to throw in an advanced class, or tournament training, or what i hold most dear, is being bored on a saturday morning and taking my car keys with my dojo key on it and opening up the dojo to train on a morning by myself or calling someone to come workout. its also easier for holding testing, etc.

all this and potentially more. but here's what i suggest, if i may. if you really truly want to open your own school and be an instructor i suggest you start small at a rec center, community center, or YMCA and make sure you only sign a 1-Year contract, 2 at the max. Only stay there for a little while until you build up funds to rent a small amount of space at a warehouse/building or whatever, and start your OWN place. owning your own place is the best bet around. And if you're serious about it, you'll find a way. You'll figure out tuition prices, what you can and cant sell so that you don't look like a business and you stay traditional. but that's absolutely what i recommend, for many years of miserable and good experience. good luck with whatever you choose! :karate:

ps- i know this looks daunting, but you can pull it off if you want it! best of luck!

Edited by NewEnglands_KyoSa

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I think it really depends on what you want out of teaching MA. If you have in mind that will eventually own your own fulltime school (or your own space) then a rec center is part of your short term plan. If you want to teach but not make it a career, there's no reason not to teach longer term if it works out. GM Keith Yates has been running a school out of a YMCA in Richardson, Texas since 1981. He has over 200 students. There's a great article about him in the March 2008 issue of MA Success magazine.

It all depends on what you want out of the arrangement.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

When I taught at a community center, which was really a middle school used in the evenings and on weekends. Well I didn't pay rent or any such thing, or sign a contract. Basically I got 70% of the students fees for taking the class. Cost was decided by the center. Was $60 for 6 weeks twice a week. The center got the other 30%. I brought my own supplies to class every day, and the students helped me bring them in.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

GM Keith Yates has been running a school out of a YMCA in Richardson, Texas since 1981. He has over 200 students. There's a great article about him in the March 2008 issue of MA Success magazine.

I think I own a book of his, on TKD forms. Good book, too.

GM Keith Yates has been running a school out of a YMCA in Richardson, Texas since 1981. He has over 200 students. There's a great article about him in the March 2008 issue of MA Success magazine.

I think I own a book of his, on TKD forms. Good book, too.

Yeah, he's pretty amazing. When I read the article that said he's built his MA career on a part time school at the YMCA (with 200+ students), I was really impressed!