• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hook kick

whats the proper way to do them is it and off axcess side kick with a hook to it or is it a sweeping motion with a hook to it?

"Theres no point, you kicked him in the butthole." comment made during a sparring match.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I teach/explain it: start by doing a side kick, but instead of coming straight off the hip, you kick at a 45 degree angle, then, you rechamber it like a round kick, and I pull the heel of my kicking foot all the way back to my butt. I also make sure to drive the heel through the target, and finish with an exaggerated round kick rechamber motion.

Hope that helps, and isn't too confusing. Pictures would help, but I don't know if I can do anything like that.

A hook kick was explained to me as moving like a skip side kick, aiming out just in front of your target, and hooking the heel of the kicking foot across into the target just as you reach full extension.

For back hook kick, you turn, chamber, and extend like back kick, but instead of kicking straight back up the middle, you kick back and off to one side just slightly, and hook the heel across as soon as you reach full extension.

what goes around, comes around

A hook kick was explained to me as moving like a skip side kick, aiming out just in front of your target, and hooking the heel of the kicking foot across into the target just as you reach full extension.

For back hook kick, you turn, chamber, and extend like back kick, but instead of kicking straight back up the middle, you kick back and off to one side just slightly, and hook the heel across as soon as you reach full extension.

Those sound like good explanations as well.

thanks for the explination that helps a lot

"Theres no point, you kicked him in the butthole." comment made during a sparring match.

i'm starting to do jump hook kicks and it's crucial to get it right when doing the ground one so that when you do jump ones all you have to do is jump and then execute the rest of it normally.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

I prefer the Taekyyon-style hook kick, which is to say the hip flexor is rotated horizontally over a wide arc and the leg and foot connect to the target that way. Spinning hook kick or back roundhouse is executed the same way-leg straight, hip flexor rotates in a wide horizontal arc-except the body rotates around first and then the hip and leg go.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

• 1 month later...

I use bushido_man's method for hook kicks. I have always, in class, executed hook kicks from a fighting stance. However, I trained with a guy for a short while and we executed hook kicks from a front stance (choon gul jaseh). It was incredibly awkward. Anyone else ever done a hook kick from a front stance?

Ed

Ed

If your stance is the same as ours (shoulders square, back leg straight and in line with torso), then no. I can't think of when you would need to. :-?

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.