• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to know what you think

we are all human and all have or faults.

like the bible says "let he who is without sin (fault) cast the first stone"

it's impossible. no one is without fault.

just because he was a little arrogant or what ever doesn't take away from his ability.

as far as where would he be today? thats like asking where would jimi hendrix's guitar playing be today. no one will ever know.

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

-Booker T. Washington

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read a few books on Bruce, and apparently at one point, he was training 40 hours a week!

Makes you jealous doesn't it. Of course, he made martial arts his full time job. Everything he did centered on it...his movies, his students...he had no choice but to be skilled.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

just because he was a little arrogant or what ever doesn't take away from his ability.

I'm not sure if this was a reply to my post?

But if it was, you will see that I was saying exactly as you are.

I don't believe imperfection contributes to lessening a legend.

Alot of people criticise him, but what he offered to martial arts is far greater than what his wrong doings did.

it wasn't really a reply to anyones post so much as it was reaffirming what you and i think someone else said.

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

-Booker T. Washington

Being arrogant often holds people back later in life. They tend to think they way they do things is best and begin to close their mind to other options. However, he was well known for saying "empty your cup." So it's hard to determine if his arrogance was just the natural tendency involved with youth or would have slowed him later in life.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

well he trained every day nonstop, and for that reason he got a busted blood vessel in his head which caused a severe headache, for this he took some pain medicane a friend gave him, he had an allergic reaction and died, so i think his weakness was that he trained to much. I know it sounds wierd, but its true, you can at least take a day off to just rest. He didnt and it lead to his downfall, But i do consider him the father of martial arts in America and my respect for him is great. If you would like to learn more there are many sites, just google him, and They also have some biographic films of him that you could probably find easily

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• 3 weeks later...

Main thing that irks me about Bruce Lee was him getting credit for doing a lot of things people had already done that weren't in the limelight. One guy in a yahoo group said he invented mixed martial arts. it's not his fault, you study philosophy in college and paraphrase and few things suddently your a sagely wise man because your an actor

From a martial arts point of view

He introduced kung-fu to nonchinese

He wasn't afraid to be a rebel and speak out

Rick

Dumbbell Routines Review - Read Before You Download

http://kirkhamsebooks.com/HealthNFitness/Articles/DumbbellRoutinesReview.htm

I don't think Lee stated that he himself created Mixed Martial Arts. However, he was a proponent it, and there were many of his time that were not.

There was a man named Edward William Barton-Wright who was doing things much like Bruce Lee was about a century earlier in England. So he wasn't the first, but he was successful doing it.

I never said he invented it I said a yahoo group member said he did. I then explain how Ugg invented the first mixed martial art as a way of defeating the alpha male thrall because he wanted to mate with Yum

Rick

Dumbbell Routines Review - Read Before You Download

http://kirkhamsebooks.com/HealthNFitness/Articles/DumbbellRoutinesReview.htm

Was Bruce Lee a talented individual? Beyond a doubt.

However, he was also obsessed with martial arts, which noone should be. Make martial arts an important part of your life, but don't obsess over it or anything.

He also tended to be contemptuous of things he disagreed with. This goes hand in hand with youth and immaturity. He was talented, but he was also young and immature.

He took other people's ideas and presented them as his own. He was not an originator. Many, if not most, of the principles of Jeet Kune Do had already been established and written by other people. He just happened to be the dynamic face behind them.

Personally I think he's overrated.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.