• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to know what you think

It was well known that Bruce Lee did a lot of research, and had a LOAD of books in his personal library; probably more books than many of us have read in our lifetimes. Therefore, I don't think that he created many of the principles or ideas that he used for JKD, nor do I think he claimed to. However, he did organize them into his own system, which I think he deserves all the credit in the world for.

He may have been arrogant and a bit cocky. However, he is not the first great Martial Artist to have those faults.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on the research and how you teach and spread your information. I think a lot of it depends on how realistic of an approach that you take as well.

I agree that's how it should be, but most martial artists I've spoken too turn their noses up at newly developed arts. They forget at some point all martial arts was some upstart system that no one really needed if they just practiced the established system the right way

Rick

Dumbbell Routines Review - Read Before You Download

http://kirkhamsebooks.com/HealthNFitness/Articles/DumbbellRoutinesReview.htm

I think that the main thing is that many don't spend a lot of time and research in what they start. They just do an art for a while, and then decide they want to do their own thing, and just start something up. What people want to see is training credentials and experience.

So - paper? Sorry but I had a guy show me all kinds of certificates about being a ki master and could take a punch yada yada

Sow when I asked he said I could hit him but just don't push thorugh. I was young, did what he said. Later on I thought about it and next time I saw him and he said I could hit him I walloped him a good one in the gut with a follow through and watched the surprise look on his face

Like I said I was young. Later in life I'd have just noded and smiled

But you brought up paper. So what kind of credentials would one need to start their own system

Rick

Paper means nothing any fool can write about being a master etc. Belts mean about the same nowadays they lost their meaning when martial arts became mainstream. If someone says they are a black belt nowdays I dont think a lot until I actually see them visually in action or feel them hit me haha. That way I know how good they are.

I disagree with the fact with people starting their own systems now after the JKD concepts. People tend to start their own system and call themselves a master of so and so when actually they are not very skilled, they just in essence want to make money and this is what martial arts have turned into its a service now very few schools exist just to pass on the skills there is always a money motive as far as I am concerned okay the people have to live but I think its the love of what we do should be more important money should be needed to live not to want from people you are teach.

There are too many systems and styles as there is in martial arts there should be no more

Everyone has there own interpretation of martial arts and their own theories and what works which follows the JKD concepts. I therefore don't think someone beginning their own system now would be any different from the systems and concepts we have now.

I think what Bruce gave us was what he said, it was everything that we had igrnored. He just put the pieces that made the puzzle that everyone didn't try to complete because they stuck to their own system.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I would have to suggest there is more than one reason besides money to start your own system. To give an example I've yet to see a self-defense system soley for parapalegics. I'll also suggest new systems are started everyday whether people realize they're starting a new one or not. Futhermore as long as human beings are thinking I don't believe all concepts will ever be convered. A good martial art is alive and a growing thing unless of course the emphasis is on art and a particular old style is attempting to be maintained

Rick

I didn't bring up paper; I just said credentials. They are not necessarily the same. Certificates are printed on paper, sure, but you just take it for what its worth.

Now, take a guy like Hocheim. He has credentials, but they are not necessarily in the form of a certificate that he can show everyone. Sgt. Jim Wagner is another.

I don't know that a lot of new styles show up; just different styles. There are many who spend years and years under one teacher, and eventually will venture out on their own, and start their own school. Then, they will teach in their own "style." Does it make them wrong? No. Does it make them right? No. It just makes them, them.

As far as the belt system goes, the Martial Arts weren't about belts until Kano introduced them. All they did was indicate rank and knowledge. They still do. The belt has never been magical or "deeper." It is, and always has been, just a belt. You take it for face value, and with a grain of salt.