• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In "The One" Jet Li does Bagua (Gabe) and Xingyi (Yulaw), I was wondering - Does he actually know these arts in their entirety (or close too) or has he picked out the bagua elements of his wushu training and strung them together? Sorry for all the stupid questions lately but I'm interested (and it's WAY better than doing Sociology :wink: )

Thanks,

E.I.S

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, yeah! it was those 2

Which lineages of Xing Yi and Baguazhang i wouldnt know... but its definitely those 2 arts, though the hand postures of the Xing Yi fists are kinda funky(to me: some schools have different ways of forming their fists)

The baguazhang looks a lot like Wudang Bagua(Taoist Branch, not the one practiced by Dong HaiChuan) or maybe generic Wushu forms...

The styles are portrayed, though, how authentic are the movements, most likely a choreography from Bagua and Xing Yi Wushu.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Jet li's background is in Wushu (in fact, he was the best in china, winning numerous awards). I'd imagine that it is from his wushu training that he knew the style, and thus he would probably know the wushu form only.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

if you have the dvd watch the special features. it talks about that. corey yuen who does most of the choreography with jet li in his movies was trained in baqua i think. they decided to use the two because the characters were so different and the styles were such a contrast. he studied them both enough to make the movements fluid, but it is all choreographed.

(the one is one of my favorite movies. have watched it probably 1000 times. lmao)

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

-Booker T. Washington

• 1 month later...

Oh yea I watched it :D good movie. Um.. I watched the special features part thingy. I believe it was actually jet Li who came up with the idea fof the different style to tell the two characters apart. Otherwise, they're both him and that's confusing XD

Not much of either style in the movie really, but I'd like to think there was enough for me to get the basic point(s). XD

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee