• advertisement_alt

Gi vs. No-gi Grappling

Which do you prefer?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Gi
    • No-Gi

Hey , for you gi guys :P

Is true that the Judogi have some special specs and the bjj gi is not specific about that ?

Can you use a judogi in a bjj traning and viceversa ?

I know that karategis are useless for grapling because their thin clothes.

In general, the judo gi fits more loosely. The sleeves are larger at the openings, there is more room around the shoulders and chest, and the jacket is usually longer. However, for general practice, they are practically interchangable. A Judogi just gives better grips to the opponent.

That is probably because of the standard grip used in initiating most Judo matches, right ps1? I know that they tend to grab a lapel and a sleeve at just above the elbow. In BJJ, one would not seem to spend much time grabbing just one area of the gi, but all kinds of different areas, so it all has to be tough.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey , for you gi guys :P

Is true that the Judogi have some special specs and the bjj gi is not specific about that ?

Can you use a judogi in a bjj traning and viceversa ?

I know that karategis are useless for grapling because their thin clothes.

In general, the judo gi fits more loosely. The sleeves are larger at the openings, there is more room around the shoulders and chest, and the jacket is usually longer. However, for general practice, they are practically interchangable. A Judogi just gives better grips to the opponent.

That is probably because of the standard grip used in initiating most Judo matches, right ps1? I know that they tend to grab a lapel and a sleeve at just above the elbow. In BJJ, one would not seem to spend much time grabbing just one area of the gi, but all kinds of different areas, so it all has to be tough.

I would think that's the reason.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I have readen and heard that many judo instructors dont let bjj guys enter the dojo if they have tight . colorful , or patched gis...

I also know that some judo fundamentalists say that bjj gi should not be called gi ( they say that its a bjj uniform not a gi , because gi is for japanese tradition stuff)..... People is mad :)

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

I have readen and heard that many judo instructors dont let bjj guys enter the dojo if they have tight . colorful , or patched gis...

I also know that some judo fundamentalists say that bjj gi should not be called gi ( they say that its a bjj uniform not a gi , because gi is for japanese tradition stuff)..... People is mad :)

Yeah, that is kind of crazy reasoning. It kind of sounds like a close-minded way to look at it. It shouldn't matter what they wear; especially if you can benefit from what they know.

• 3 months later...

In the 50's we practiced w/out a gi a lot as few had them. We did an Okinawan wrestling/grappling, naked to the waist. As slick as the other persons skin would be you developed a different quality of grip. It ade grappling with a clothed person a piece of cake.

actually you can do almost all the throws without a gi, you got to slightly change your hand placement a little bit, and have a little more strength, I have done it, its rather easy.. but if your thinking for a "realistic" approach. then, yeah it can be done. so I cant say it is better to train with or without a gi.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Mostly no-gi here, for practicallity and lack of a judo gi(Which I'm working on correcting). I'm a jeans and teeshirt kind of guy most of the time, so training and gi pants and rash guards/old teeshirts is what we end up doing most of the time. If it came to it and someone had a good jacket on, hey, thanks for the handles!

Sometimes we kick our jackets on and have to remind ourselves to go for something other than a straight collar choke. Having all the extra things you can grab and work with a gi will slow you down. I've noticed that once you get used to grappling one way or the other you (or at least I do) seem to get worn down more quickly working the other way. We put on the jackets now and I'm worn out in no time. We get used to that and working no-gi gets tiring quickly.

As to the throws, msot of the ones we do, and we need to work ours a bit past shots and hip toss/trips, will work either way. You have to adjust your grips and get into knowing how to leverage a body.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Mostly no-gi here, for practicallity and lack of a judo gi(Which I'm working on correcting). I'm a jeans and teeshirt kind of guy most of the time, so training and gi pants and rash guards/old teeshirts is what we end up doing most of the time. If it came to it and someone had a good jacket on, hey, thanks for the handles!

Sometimes we kick our jackets on and have to remind ourselves to go for something other than a straight collar choke. Having all the extra things you can grab and work with a gi will slow you down. I've noticed that once you get used to grappling one way or the other you (or at least I do) seem to get worn down more quickly working the other way. We put on the jackets now and I'm worn out in no time. We get used to that and working no-gi gets tiring quickly.

As to the throws, msot of the ones we do, and we need to work ours a bit past shots and hip toss/trips, will work either way. You have to adjust your grips and get into knowing how to leverage a body.

Most throws can be done no gi- Karo Parisyan who is a judoka with an excellent MMA record has a lot of stuff on how to transition from gi to no gi. Looks like you took the opposite approach though :) . I've heard that t-shirts work a lot better for lapel chokes though.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah, most work with a little modification. Just saying we need to work them more. We have some staple throws that we use, but I think we need to break out of that box and try some new things. If nothing else to get the feel for some different mechanics.

Now teehsirts for collar chokes can work. But we shred seams and 'pop' the collars half the time when we try. Stretchy things, may need to invest in better quality shirts to train with. Wait, that's a bad plan I think. Not saying I wouldn't wrap up a bit of collar work with a tee, but a lot of sleeve work etc goes away with them. We try to train enough to be familiar with what to do wwith them, but not be reliant on a gi like garment.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I think that both have great beniefits , one one hand "gi" you can learn each move more slowly and really let it sink in and learn the proper tachnique. And on the other hand we have "no-gi" which is great for the real thing and is much quicker. The best thing to do is get a mixture of both.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.