• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi vs. No-gi Grappling

Which do you prefer?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Gi
    • No-Gi

Most throws can be done no gi- Karo Parisyan who is a judoka with an excellent MMA record has a lot of stuff on how to transition from gi to no gi. quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth. Karo had the best helping him in the conquest of tranlating the gi techniques to no gi. Gene and Gokor had developed a great system of gi and no gi technique and are the main reason Karo has the skills he has. I go mostly no gi but have been iching to pull out the Kodakan and learn some new throws. Bt I'll go with the gi when ever someone wants to. This helps me stay aware of what dangers I have to look for with the extra grips as opposed to no gi. I need the choice of both. As before mentioned I believe both have their pros and cons.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey pitbull , what is your judo rank ?

I don't hold any rank in Judo. I was trying to get into the only Judo school within about 75 miles from where I live and the cash flow fell through. I am always looking at text and trying to figure things out on my own and with the feed back from my very knowledgeable and trustworth uke. I have spent some time in the past training with very good Judoka in a nearby town before he moved to fight pro again.

Most throws can be done no gi- Karo Parisyan who is a judoka with an excellent MMA record has a lot of stuff on how to transition from gi to no gi. quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth. Karo had the best helping him in the conquest of tranlating the gi techniques to no gi. Gene and Gokor had developed a great system of gi and no gi technique and are the main reason Karo has the skills he has. I go mostly no gi but have been iching to pull out the Kodakan and learn some new throws. Bt I'll go with the gi when ever someone wants to. This helps me stay aware of what dangers I have to look for with the extra grips as opposed to no gi. I need the choice of both. As before mentioned I believe both have their pros and cons.

Judo does quite well in MMA, but it takes a bit before you can get used to it. A lot of fighters aren't comfortable with their throws so they just go for take downs, but those who have put the time in usually get a benefit from them.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Judo does quite well in MMA, but it takes a bit before you can get used to it. A lot of fighters aren't comfortable with their throws so they just go for take downs, but those who have put the time in usually get a benefit from them.

Yes it sir. Karo proves it everytime his opponent says "that Judo stuff won't work on me." Karo makes sure he dumps them on their heads everytime. Any he makes it look so effortless and graceful. Oh I forgot painfull too. LOL. I watch his fights to see the throws cause we all know it's going to happen.

• 2 years later...

I have one no gi take down class and one no gi class a week. The rest of the week is all gi. The sickest guys on the floor in mma all trained their way to black belt in a gi. There is an obvious difference in skill level, awareness and success when looking at these competitors. I'm not saying that there are guys who are not successful (all wrestlers) but they don't have the same ability to finish and as complex a game on the floor.

Another point is that there are so many more things to defend in a gi that:

1. you have more options to attack

2. if you can defend the plethora of attacks then no gi is easy.

I'm actually a fan of training gi, even for cross over sd purposes.

First off, it makes your technical game WAY tighter. If you want to really get good lines and the intricacies of a movement, do gi. It will send your no gi game through the roof.

Second off, in most parts of the country or at least my little corner, you can bet on a longsleeve shirt or jacket at least 4-5 months out of the year for general use. Not bad odds. Also, long pants will mimic the grips on the gi pant pretty effectively. So it's not as out of bounds as one would think.

More importantly, however, is the technical jump.

Great attitude John. I find most wrestlers( for example) don't don't like wearing the gi because they don't know how to work around or address the grips properly. If this is truly anyones frustration with the gi it should be a huge challenge and sign that there is much to learn. And Tallgeese brought up a valid point. Many of us live where anywhere from 4 to6 months out of the year people will wear pants and long sleeves. Knowing how to control someone with grips and choke them with their own jacket or should would be a huge advantage!

Just more thing to think about!