• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi vs. No-gi Grappling

Which do you prefer?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Gi
    • No-Gi

Yay! Someone gave a vote for no-gi... and for the record, I have for the shoot to be extremely effective. Doesn't require a gi, and many people just don't see it coming if they have no training.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, ps1. There are some that won't tranfer well at all. But that is the nature of the beast here. However, working the ones that do transfer well will definitely give you some more options.

What do you think about Greco-Roman types of takedowns? I think that many of those come from a form of the clinch, and throwing from there would make little use of the clothing, and more of the legs and upper body.

Greco-Roman takedowns are really good. One of our grapplers/fighters is named Chris Canale. He was an all-American in Greco-Roman and actually represented the US in some overseas events. I can't come close to stopping him from taking me down in no-gi. I just make sure to fall in an advantageous position and beat him from there. However, we have the gi on, he has trouble getting into the clinch. It gives me alot more time to work. I still can't take him down from there, but I think a good Judoka would be able to do so.

I work with him on his ground and he works with me on takedowns. I hope to start implimenting them at NAGA-Ohio in December.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Well . I train greco-roman takedowns every class , its part of luta livre ( it puts emphasis in wrestrling takedowns for standing grappling ,and some judo throws). When I said I have problems with throws with no gi , I was talking about judo-like throws...like hip throw..or arm throw.... BTW , I connected some throws today with a novice...but I cant do that with the guys of my skill ( I still a rook , but with many rolling hours in 10 months)

can't come close to stopping him from taking me down in no-gi. I just make sure to fall in an advantageous position and beat him from there. However, we have the gi on, he has trouble getting into the clinch

Why there is such difference ? Do you ´´tie´´ him with the gi ? I ask , because I have 0 gi experience.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

That is cool, ps1. Having someone like that to swap info with is an MA training dream, I think.

I never underestimate Wrestlers' abilities. A good takedown can really put you on the defensive for the majority of a fight. I think that the biggest weakness of a Wrestler, however, is the lack of working from the back. In their type of competition, they learn to try to get off of their back as quickly as possible. Once they can overcome that mindset, and realize that they have some options when on their back, then I think that they can become really dangerous.

Well . I train greco-roman takedowns every class , its part of luta livre ( it puts emphasis in wrestrling takedowns for standing grappling ,and some judo throws). When I said I have problems with throws with no gi , I was talking about judo-like throws...like hip throw..or arm throw.... BTW , I connected some throws today with a novice...but I cant do that with the guys of my skill ( I still a rook , but with many rolling hours in 10 months)

can't come close to stopping him from taking me down in no-gi. I just make sure to fall in an advantageous position and beat him from there. However, we have the gi on, he has trouble getting into the clinch

Why there is such difference ? Do you ´´tie´´ him with the gi ? I ask , because I have 0 gi experience.

Your hunch is correct. The gi gives you something to grab. So when he shoots or comes in for the clinch, it's easier to create space between him and me. It's not alot of time, but enough to put myself in the advantage when it hits the ground.

You're right, ps1. There are some that won't tranfer well at all. But that is the nature of the beast here. However, working the ones that do transfer well will definitely give you some more options.

What do you think about Greco-Roman types of takedowns? I think that many of those come from a form of the clinch, and throwing from there would make little use of the clothing, and more of the legs and upper body.

Greco-Roman takedowns are really good. One of our grapplers/fighters is named Chris Canale. He was an all-American in Greco-Roman and actually represented the US in some overseas events. I can't come close to stopping him from taking me down in no-gi. I just make sure to fall in an advantageous position and beat him from there. However, we have the gi on, he has trouble getting into the clinch. It gives me alot more time to work. I still can't take him down from there, but I think a good Judoka would be able to do so.

I work with him on his ground and he works with me on takedowns. I hope to start implimenting them at NAGA-Ohio in December.

Yeah, I won the state level championship 2 times (for highschool age) in greco-roman. It is a really great way to learn how to throw, and it has dozens of throws that you can learn. I mean, they work well. For those of you that don't know, greco-roman is a no leg stand up. No shots or leg takedowns. I want to train Judo eventually because it really reminds me of my wrestling days. Also, I was a heavyweight, so I didn't implement a whole lot of shots into scholastic (i had a mean double leg, and a good fireman's carry), but I hated doing single leg take downs. Anyway I'm rambling....

Do not demand what you can not take by force.

Hey , for you gi guys :P

Is true that the Judogi have some special specs and the bjj gi is not specific about that ?

Can you use a judogi in a bjj traning and viceversa ?

I know that karategis are useless for grapling because their thin clothes.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

Is true that the Judogi have some special specs and the bjj gi is not specific about that ?

I would think that they would be about the same, and you could do either Art with either gi. Not sure, but I would think so.

In general, the judo gi fits more loosely. The sleeves are larger at the openings, there is more room around the shoulders and chest, and the jacket is usually longer. However, for general practice, they are practically interchangable. A Judogi just gives better grips to the opponent.