• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi vs. No-gi Grappling

Which do you prefer?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Gi
    • No-Gi

I am wondering which you like better, and why? What does each bring for you strategically?

I kind of know what some of the answers will be. I have heard that gi grappling is a bit slower, and lets you work technique a bit better. Some will say that no-gi is more realistic, and better for MMA. However, some will also say that gi is realistic, because most self-defense situations will take place with clothes on.

What I am looking for aside from these (feel free to share these, anyways) is whatever else each brings to you, why you like one more than the other, and what you think each may have to offer. One thing that I am curious about is how tough the no-gi game would be when the two get really sweaty and hard to hang on to. Share anything that you can or want to on the subject. I have damn little grappling experience, and am curious.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, well first I am going to throw in my usual: real life is between the two and then give you my thoughts on both of the others. Personally, I've not done too much no gi, but I have grappled with people who went the no gi route. I think that it is nice to have the change, but personally I hate it when a no gi guy gets all sweaty after a couple of rounds and gets hard to hold on to. It's smelly and you get all gross afterwards....I don't think that it is very fun. :lol: however initially it is fine, and I like experimenting with it. Overall though, I like having the extra grips on the gi.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I perfer to train with the gi. However, it's good to do both. The gi will make you far more technical because it slows down the training. But you need to train no gi as well so you have a good feel for the grips you have in that situation.

I picked gi because I find it more fun and like the larger variety of submissions. However, I feel it's only about 3/4 of the game.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

well i personally like the gi, because it allows me to utilize my judo in a standup grappling situation, where i would be severly limited versus someone shirtless.

I don't train with anyone who goes sans-gi. honestly as far as realism, and whatnot, i don't know that training one or the other would be better, but i do like the huge increase in the amount of techniques offered just by wearing one.

I think you said it all in your predictions. Gi is more realistic and better for the street. No gi is harder to work with but better preparation for MMA type bouts where fighters have no shirts.

Still I will (, at the risk of sounding redundant,) give my take on it. My style does some grappling but not much so any competition I went to would be mostly stand-up or take-down and break. So the gi works for my style since that's what we train more.

If we are talking about just grappling, then I see your point in saying it would be slower. But what if it's MMA or freestyle? It should not be slower at all. It just requires you to switch approaches and use your stand-up game more. Grapplers are always saying how it does better than stand-up in MMA. But here's a situation where the striking ability shines a bit. If I throw a good front kick, it does not matter what my opponent is wearing or how sweaty he is. I'm not saying a striker would then be unbeatable. I'm just saying that here a grappler would have a hinderance while a striker would not.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

well i personally like the gi, because it allows me to utilize my judo in a standup grappling situation, where i would be severly limited versus someone shirtless.

I have viewed an ICHF DVD called "Combat Throws," and the throws were all based on the lack of garment grabs to facilitate the throw. It was a very interesting DVD, but I have not worked with too many of them yet. I have done some throwing in which I don't use much clothing grabbing, but it is there in case I want to grab it.

What does everyone think of the adaptation of throws to not using the garments?

I have never grappled with a gi :( . But I d like to. Maybe some day I can take judo clases..... I like the throws , and they dont work very well if you dont have a gi.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

I have never grappled with a gi :( . But I d like to. Maybe some day I can take judo clases..... I like the throws , and they dont work very well if you dont have a gi.

I think that you could make some of them work. You just have to modify them by using limbs instead of garment grabs. You could also look into some Greco-Roman Wrestling style of throws, as they are based mostly on grabbing the body above the waist. Try a Google search, and see what you get.

I think that you could make some of them work. You just have to modify them by using limbs instead of garment grabs. You could also look into some Greco-Roman Wrestling style of throws, as they are based mostly on grabbing the body above the waist. Try a Google search, and see what you get.

There are some that translate well. Others that do not. Sadly, in my opinion, it's easier to translate the gi throws to no-gi than it is the no-gi throws to gi (excluding single leg, double leg, and ankle picks). This is because it's difficult to get the tight grips on the neck when the opponent can stave you off with grips on the gi.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You're right, ps1. There are some that won't tranfer well at all. But that is the nature of the beast here. However, working the ones that do transfer well will definitely give you some more options.

What do you think about Greco-Roman types of takedowns? I think that many of those come from a form of the clinch, and throwing from there would make little use of the clothing, and more of the legs and upper body.