• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicks..

avxsk8erpunk

my instructor had us hold a kick out while brushed our teeth at night, if u set it down, start brushing again. it helped me a lot

"Theres no point, you kicked him in the butthole." comment made during a sparring match.

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had the same problem until around the time I got my green belt. One day it struck me that the problem had faded away and I could come down out of a kick with excellent balance. I had almost become used to having problems, so it was a big surprise to realize it had gone away.

I think the body has a way of finding the proper way to do something, all on its own, and sometimes the mind just interferes.

I had a similar experience with learning to flick my hips when punching. My Sensei would tell me all the time to use my hips more. I knew exactly what he meant, but my body didn't. I fixed this (unintentionally) by hitting a heavy bag. I could feel and hear the impact on the bag, and by unconsciously varying my technique bit by tiny bit, I got excellent feedback on what worked and what didn't. My body eventually found a way to relax and generate that flicking motion we need in our punches. I still couldn't consciously describe exactly what I am doing differently, but it makes a huge difference.

As has been said above: go slowly. Break the mechanics of the kick down into 3+ parts (floor, chambered, extended), and practice it painfully slowly, with a chair for support if necessary.

The reason I say slowly is that only perfect practice makes perfect. Bad/sloppy practice just creates bad habits that are a pain to correct.

in harmony,

TL

I agree with budokin because some kicks are different. I would use the wall if you have know to train with.

Round kick have your back to it and pivet to where you touch it and pivet back to starting position.

Front kick face the wall judge your distance and touch and come back to position, you can do the same with the side kick too.

just touch the wall.

i really like kicks like the round house front sna and back kick but i have troouble balancing my self to turn back to my regular position any tips?

lets say im in a rt fight stance and do a round house with my left foot i hav trouble getting back to rt fighting stance again

what are some balancing exersices that i could do? any other suggestions

This is a common problem with my stundents aswell , you need to have patience and take your time, standing on foot and moving your body is different movments without falling will help you condition your body.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

I usually have my students do non-kicking pivots. So either in place and/or down the floor, pick up your back leg and pivot your base foot. Then pivote it back as you step forward or put your foot back behind you (depending if you are doing one leg then placing it back, or if you are landing forward one step for every "kick") When you practice this also practice getting your hips aligned into the correct position. Then you just add the kick.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I usually have my students do non-kicking pivots. So either in place and/or down the floor, pick up your back leg and pivot your base foot. Then pivote it back as you step forward or put your foot back behind you (depending if you are doing one leg then placing it back, or if you are landing forward one step for every "kick") When you practice this also practice getting your hips aligned into the correct position. Then you just add the kick.

I like this idea. I may play with this one myself. :)