• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Myth of the Forrest Griffin Arm Bar Break

Hey all,

I have recently heard that Forrest Griffin once let someone break his arm via an arm bar so that he could go on to win the fight. Unfortunately, I have not been able to verify this anywhere. Joe Rogan mentioned this during one of the Ultimate fighter finales but I am wondering about the veracity of the statement now. The few mentions I have seen that talk about Forrest Griffin getting a broken arm were against a guy named Edson Peredao. I've seen the video of the fight and no where did they even really grapple and the supposed break to his arm from a punch isn't even visible. Does anyone know if indeed he did get it broken from an armbar and if so who his opponent was? Thanks.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an armbar results in a dislocated elbow or shoulder, i don't think he can fight effectively after that, while i have seen people continued a fight with broken bones or dislocate fingers.

If you dislocate someones shoulder with an armbar methinks you are doing something wrong.

Why is it wrong? If you are on a different angle to the other persons body, up high, you can pop the shoulder and break the elbow if you so desired. 2 breaks for the price of one. I think you would be doing a improved armbar.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

An armbar is a hyperextension of the elbow by definition. If you are breaking anything else in the process its an armbar plus something else. Its not wrong to break more than one joint at a time, its just not an armbar.

Long Live the Fighters!

An armbar is a hyperextension of the elbow by definition. If you are breaking anything else in the process its an armbar plus something else. Its not wrong to break more than one joint at a time, its just not an armbar.

It is an armbar with benefits. It's the exact same way you do an armbar on the ground, but you are just a little higher up. If you raise arm out to the side and try to move your arm back you will feel where it stops. If you raise your arm slightly higher than your shoulder and move your arm back you will feel your shoulder engage. It's still an armbar, but it's a variation. Don't limit yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Early on in his career he got caught in an arm bar during a fight.The arm ended up breaking in the forearm region.Take a close look at Forrest's forearms one has a nasty knot were it didn't heal properly. Forrest mentioned it in the first ever ultimate fighter tv show.And he also knocked the guy in the next round after getting his arm broken.

He has alot of heart, but he needs to try and not get hit as often as he does.

Yes I can see the knot on his forearm but from what I've read of his bio and other sources outside of Joe Rogan there is no backup for that statement. What they do say is that the arm was broken by a kick from Edsen Peradao, the same fight in which Forrest knocked him out with his other hand. So once again, there doesn't seem to be any verification for an armbar break.

Long Live the Fighters!