• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying to decide between two martial arts in my area...

It sounds like the Shotokan school may have want you want. Maybe do a Google search of the organization, and see what they say about it, and visit a few more classes. Hopefully it works out for you. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright guys, first update. I went to Shaolin Kempo, and, I dont want to badmouth someone, but it didn't seem to suit me. I didn't feel comfortable with the whole thing. I mean, i don't know if this is a big deal, but it didn't sit well with me having 3 black belts about 10 years old (maybe younger).

So anyway, this friday I get to go to a Shotokon class here. THe place is real nice looking (i've seen pictures and drove by it), and it seems very qualified. The Shotokon guy is a 4th dan, and is under the AAFK. He does alot of work, including the AAKF/ JKA tournaments (i mean he refs, he is a little bit older of a guy, like 55-60) And he is always leading self defense siminars and stuff in the area (mostly for highschools and colleges). I'm not jumping the gun, but he is affiliated with a great program, and has been invvolved in a rediculous amount of Shotokon stuff. I mean, i think the AAFK, from what i've read, is really reputable. Any input?

i feel the same way about 10 y/o black belts

"Theres no point, you kicked him in the butthole." comment made during a sparring match.

OKAY OKAY NEW UPDATE I went to the shotokan class tonight. It seems to fit so good. I'm going to another one friday. The guy who is running it showed some katas and some forms, explained them. I can say, for a 50 something year old guy, he was crisp, and really knew what he was doing. It seemed so second nature, and he understood all of it, and broke down each movement. Anyway, I was very impressed. We talked about teaching methodologies, and philosophy about martial arts in general. We really agreed on almost everything. The dojo itself is his garage (a huge seperate building) that is renovated. Let me tell you, it no longer resembles any garage. He put some serious work into it. It is a very very nice place, a lot nicer than the commercial ones i've looked, and as big as most of them. Long ago, he told me he had a commercial dojo, but got tired of babysitting and working with people that aren't committed. He now works with a tigher group of people that are truly dedicated to what they are doing. No contracts, he said he use to have 3 month and 6 month, but said they are just a headache for both him and the student. All the testing is through the AAKF, and he is certified and active within that organization. Anyway, i feel like i've finally found a place...

Do not demand what you can not take by force.

Sounds great Scott! When do you start lessons? It seems like you found a great spot :karate:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

That sounds like a great deal. It is good that you were able to discuss all of the those things with him as well. I hope you enjoy your training.

As soon as I saw you added Shotokan I had a feeling you'd like it. My brother was big into weights and boxing, etc. And he really like Shotokan.

Probably had to do with the philosophy of "one hit kill", and maximum power into each puch that he liked.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Well you sound like an eaggresive person so i thing you would like northern shaoling kung fu. It seems you already have the stamina and strength, u just need the speed now so i think you would enjoy that

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

Well you sound like an eaggresive person so i thing you would like northern shaoling kung fu. It seems you already have the stamina and strength, u just need the speed now so i think you would enjoy that

That is a good idea, but i've checked out every place within 50 miles, and there are no kung fu schools:( Specific styles are hard to find here, and good schools are even harder. Thanks for the input though, i really appreciate it.

As soon as I saw you added Shotokan I had a feeling you'd like it. My brother was big into weights and boxing, etc. And he really like Shotokan.

Probably had to do with the philosophy of "one hit kill", and maximum power into each puch that he liked.

Heh, sounds like your brother and I have very similiar philosophy on MA. Yeah, that really did appeal to me, especially the power strikes. Only thing is I really want to improve my kicking game (it is 0), and from what I've seen so far, shotokon kicks will fit me nicely. Shotokon I think will be a nice fit, especially because I actually found a really good guy to teach me.

I participated in my first Shotokan class. I really enjoyed it. My sensei taught me a basic straight punch, a snap kick, thrust kick, and a "down block". I was really fascinated by the down block, because he showed me how it wasn't just a "block", but a grapple, two different strikes, and another strike that leaves your opponent open. Said just looking at it strictly as a downblock wasn't really good, it is in the motion that can set you up or do other things, and he broke it down and had me practice applying it. He hasn't taught me kata yet, said I need to get some basics down first. It was really good, and i am so happy.