cross

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with cross, I have e-mail Mr Abernethy a few times, and he usually quite quick and helpful with his responses.

I hope to attend one of his seminars one day.

Likewise, he has always provided very informative answers to any questions i have.

I second the above, I am also a member of Iain's forum.

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Hello

I just want to say that I too have returned to studying karate after a long (10 year!) break.

I have to say my body is not the same as it was before. Hehe

My main reason for getting back into it is purely for the health benefits both physically and mentally.

I hope that you get these benefits from your dojo also.

You probably don't realize it but you are constantly learning self protection while you practice karate even if you aren't focusing on it or calling it self protection.

Keep with it, Shodan is just the beginning...

Budokin

You probably don't realize it but you are constantly learning self protection while you practice karate even if you aren't focusing on it or calling it self protection.

I think that a lot of people probably feel this way about their training, but how do you suppose that is happening? I think that body movement and power generation and other physical aspects that can help with self-protection are worked on, but they don't really focus on self-protection itself.

• 1 month later...

I think that a lot of people probably feel this way about their training, but how do you suppose that is happening? I think that body movement and power generation and other physical aspects that can help with self-protection are worked on, but they don't really focus on self-protection itself.

I think its all comes down to context. Regardless of the martial art you train, you probably will be learning useful skills, its just understanding the context in which they relate to self defense that is not often covered.

Take for example all arts that focus on striking techniques, each one has its own way of developing powerful fast strikes designed to damage another person. Learning the physical part of how to hit hard is one thing. But in what context are we hitting hard? Do we just walk up to people and hit them? Do we wait for a person to threaten our life and then hit them?

If you look at this striking skill within the context of a self defense situation and you understand the principles of pre-emptive striking, and you perform your powerful strike off a trigger question or after distracting the aggressor, now you have a meaning for the techniques because you know what context they are best used in.

• 1 month later...

Well, my karate journey has come to an end once again. Initially i was enjoying it. But after a few weeks i started noticing the things that turned my off karate previously. So its back to training at home and focusing specifically on my goals of self protection and fitness(has i continued to do whilst doing karate).

For reference, some of the things that turned me off karate(this is just my opinion and experiences BTW, not intended to offend anyone or turn you off karate. If it helps you to achieve your goals then im all for it):

1. Outdated training methods that are maintained for the sake of tradition.

2. To much static work against partners who offer little to no resistance.

3. A syllabus based on technique collecting that becomes more a test of memory, not a test of knowledge or skill.

4. Lots of kata practice with very limited time spent applying whats being taught.

5. 2 completely different delivery system for strikes in basics and sparring.

6. Over-emphasis on attacks that a not common. I.e. wrist grabs.

7. Far to much theorizing from instructors about the best way to do techniques with little thought for actual application.

etc.

Thats to bad cross.

Could it be that it was just that school that was over the top in the ways you described?

I sounds like the school has a very "academic" approach to teaching and, as you say, that works for some people and satisfies their goals.

Would it be worth you having a good look around at other schools even styles?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com