• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

for the Zen students

Daisho

Form versus emptiness is a very interesting topic. What is truly important is what's on the inside, and that has no form, but without form, then the emptiness has no more meaning. They both thrive off each other, but when one is completely gone, then the other cannot exist.

Yet, even despite this dual existence, it's interesting to see how we practice techniques, or form, over and over again so that we can let go and have formless form. Or in other points we reach the proper spirit and empty ourselves of all form just so we can truly allow the form to arise on its own.

I'm not sure if I stated any of that properly, but the words aren't the essence. :)

A monk walked into a pizzeria and said, "Make me one with everything."

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well put homeboy. i would say that i don't believe form and emptiness as a dual existence. the word water is form for the emptiness of actual water. yes the former does implicitly mean the latter, but you cannot drink the word "water" and be hydrated.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a Zen guy, but woulnd't formlessness be the duality of form, as opposed to emptiness, which would be more like void?
japanese Zen, I'm sure is full of semantics. And when translated to English loses a lot of meanings. I think it all boils down to letting go of desire and expectation, and living Now.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

As are mine. Like I mentioned, I'm not much of a Zen guy. I wouldn't even consider myself a dabbler in it. The only reading material I have on Zen is the book Chuck Norris wrote about his experiences.

And, well, come on, Chuck Norris wrote it. :brow: