Daisho

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering why knife hand isn't used in MMA? It's really effective. Especially when you're in tight in stand up in mid grapple.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

The padded glove may have something to do with it. I also think that they are more concerned with grappling or escaping the clinch than the strike, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it isn't allowed in the rules?

Although its not openly stated on the UFC website, I believe most MMA organizations have a rule against open handed strikes.

Could be wrong though.

I think in an early UFC, one guy, a Kenpoist, I believe, knocked out a Sumo Wrestler with a an open-handed strike that was like a palm heel/knife edge strike, wasn't there? Of course, that was a long time ago, and rules have changed a bit...

On a related technical note, has anyone ever broken a board with a spearhand strike? :o

I had a good friend...a Hung Gar Kung Fu practioneer, that did a one finger board break at a tournament a number of years ago. He did it (2 attempts) and immediately afterwards came up to me and said ..."Paul, if you EVER see me try to do that again, STOP ME! I think I broke my FINGER!"

:lol:

Hahaha, nice story!

They really don't allow open-hand strikes in some MMA comps?! :-?

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

Usually MMA practitioners don't come from styles that use open hand strikes so that may be a reason but- if it isn't banned it might be interesting to see how you could use it. I think the padding on the sides of the glove might make some knife hand strikes a bit difficult though. Open palm to the head could be good, as open palm in general allows you to better transition into grappling I believe.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think the padding on the sides of the glove might make some knife hand strikes a bit difficult though. Open palm to the head could be good, as open palm in general allows you to better transition into grappling I believe.

Good points. I also think that the utility of the move isn't as good as other moves. Most knife hand strikes are going to come in the form of either a downward strike, or in an arc from the sides, with the palm up or down. I think that the hook punch is probably more effective in this case for MMA fighters than the open hand would be.

On a related technical note, has anyone ever broken a board with a spearhand strike? :o

Yes. A typical board for breaking (12x8x1 I think). It bruised the tip of my middle finger though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think the padding on the sides of the glove might make some knife hand strikes a bit difficult though. Open palm to the head could be good, as open palm in general allows you to better transition into grappling I believe.

Good points. I also think that the utility of the move isn't as good as other moves. Most knife hand strikes are going to come in the form of either a downward strike, or in an arc from the sides, with the palm up or down. I think that the hook punch is probably more effective in this case for MMA fighters than the open hand would be.

This is what I was going to point out. The angles that make a knife hand effective open you up for takedowns while in the clinch. In clinch work you need to remain very compact. The general rule is not to cross your body with a limb while in the clinch (it allows your opponent to take your back). This is why you see more knees, elbows and uppercuts from this position. They are short and don't give the opponent alot to work with.

In general, because the atheletes tend to keep their chin tucked and shoulders up, a shuto (knife hand) isn't going to be very effective in MMA. You would be more likely to end up hitting the outside of the shoulder or top portion of the side of the head. I do believe that it's great against the lay person who isn't trained to keep the neck and chin protected.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."