Daisho

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, NOT sure if the karate chop is the very core of martial arts.

Karate chops can be an effective technique if use correctly. (especially on the neck area). Not sure using this "chop"on the foot area? if standing up?....

What are other names use to describe this techniques? Kenpo chop,kempo chop? Judo chop, (NO chop suey OK)......

Aloha ( and no pork chops too!)

Also known as knifehand strike, swordhand, edge-of-hand attack. I am sure there are others as well.

I think that at some point during the initiation of the Eastern Martial Arts into Western culture, the "chop" must have been one of the first techniques witnessed as a board break, and it snow-balled from there.

i was just teasing guys.

seems like the most stereo-typed physical symbol of Eastern fighting arts is the open hand being fired in a chopping motion.

my 6 y.o. niece even yells *karate-chop!!!* as her kiai in her TKD class lol

i was just teasing guys.

seems like the most stereo-typed physical symbol of Eastern fighting arts is the open hand being fired in a chopping motion.

my 6 y.o. niece even yells *karate-chop!!!* as her kiai in her TKD class lol

Hey, its all good! It stimulates a natural conversation. We could go anywhere with this.

On a related technical note, has anyone ever broken a board with a spearhand strike? :o

On a related technical note, has anyone ever broken a board with a spearhand strike? :o

Personally, no. But if you watch the movie Budo: The Art of Killing (1978) it shows a guy split an apple core the long way with a spearhand strike

Cool. I have never heard of that movie before.

I broke one of those really flimsy 1/4 inch thick boards with a spear hand once. It felt cool, but it really wasn't anything to be impressed with. It would probably look cool in a demo, though.

I had a good friend...a Hung Gar Kung Fu practioneer, that did a one finger board break at a tournament a number of years ago. He did it (2 attempts) and immediately afterwards came up to me and said ..."Paul, if you EVER see me try to do that again, STOP ME! I think I broke my FINGER!"

:lol:

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Well I dont know why people call it ´´ karate chop ´´ or judo chop.. Is a very common technique ...may be it is old as martial arts are.

I had this kind of strike in my shaolin northen gong fu training....

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´