• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The middle finger & bad words?

I think as a martial artist and even just being a good person, you shouldn't be "throwing" the middle finger around and saying bad words every minute or so. I understand bad words are an extreme form of expressing yourself but you don't need to say them every five minutes.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as a martial artist and even just being a good person, you shouldn't be "throwing" the middle finger around and saying bad words every minute or so. I understand bad words are an extreme form of expressing yourself but you don't need to say them every five minutes.

This has come up before. I think it is ususally more of a matter of culture and environment. Have you ever heard the term "mouth like a sailor"? There are times, when being professional, that language control is important. However, when it is casual time, at least for me, my vocabulary tends to get very colorful :P . And sometimes, where I work, foul language is one of the only things that people will understand.

I've always seen insults and dirogatory gestures as a way of demonstrating fear of action. So I brush them off easily.

While deployed in Iraq, I had the unfortunate duty of testifying against some of my fellow soldiers due to some of their indiscressions. It's something that was not easy for me and I didn't like doing at the time. But, in my opinion, it saved lives and it's something I have to deal with every day. As you can imagine, the other soldiers weren't very happy. Many threatened me and called me some unspeakable things. I made it clear that if any of them wanted to settle the matter with me, they could feel free to do so in what ever manner they saw fit without any fear of legal retribution (that is, they could try to beat me up if they wanted to and I wouldn't tell on them).

As the training NCO, I was the combatives instructor. None of them ever tried to do anything but insult me. They knew I would have beat them within an inch of their lives. They were afraid of me, so they attempted to attack my character, insulted me and my family, and were generally unplesant to work with.

Of all the things that happened with that situation, the only thing that bothered me is that people who were supposed to be team mates and friends would betray the trust of the unit as they did.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That is awesome what you did ps1 and yeah, it seems like all they were, were bullies because they are afraid when confronted face to face with options of settling things.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

One of my philosophies to living my life with some form of martial code, is Humility.

The original poster is right, you cannot let people control you and get their way. When someone does something like insult you, they are expecting some resistance. When you give them that resistance, they have won the mental battle.

Rude gestures such as the middle finger and curse words are best left ignored, however, if someone assaults or threatens your life....you should consider taking action.

A New Age Dawns

I have a bad mouth at times, but I know when to control my mouth and when it is appropriate to let a few slip. For example, talking to buddies in the locker room, no problem. Talking to the head coach, you change your tone in a hurry. Something funny I heard from my history prof is where the middle finger originated from. A long time ago when the French and British fought in the middle ages, is when it was developed. The French would capture British Longbow men and cut off their middle finger so they could no longer shoot a bow. The british, in response, would show the French their middle finger to show that they haven't had it cut off yet. Not sure how accurate it is, though it did come from a history professor. Anyway, thought I would throw that in there.

Do not demand what you can not take by force.

...Something funny I heard from my history prof is where the middle finger originated from. A long time ago when the French and British fought in the middle ages, is when it was developed. The French would capture British Longbow men and cut off their middle finger so they could no longer shoot a bow. The british, in response, would show the French their middle finger to show that they haven't had it cut off yet. Not sure how accurate it is, though it did come from a history professor. Anyway, thought I would throw that in there.

I've heard that one before, apparently though its not true (click) and there is evidence for its use in Roman and Greek times.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

...Something funny I heard from my history prof is where the middle finger originated from. A long time ago when the French and British fought in the middle ages, is when it was developed. The French would capture British Longbow men and cut off their middle finger so they could no longer shoot a bow. The british, in response, would show the French their middle finger to show that they haven't had it cut off yet. Not sure how accurate it is, though it did come from a history professor. Anyway, thought I would throw that in there.

I've heard that one before, apparently though its not true (click) and there is evidence for its use in Roman and Greek times.

I had seen that similar story before as well.

• 1 month later...

Like 2 months ago guy just walking by in town gave me the finger, I got into a fight with him, usually i am a calm person, but you just don´t flip a person off like that.

I wish it did not bother me, but it does. I think it is a lot from person to person how you react. :kaioken:

Is it really worth getting into it with a stranger over something like that, though? I mean, you can never be sure if someone has a knife or a gun, or what intentions they may have. I know that it may not happen often, but it only has to happen like that once...