Gi fashion show?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen pics of Elvis' gis. He wore the big collar shirts underneath, too.

Haha! Me or any submission grappler would be licking our lips at seeing lapels that big - aloha collar chokes!

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

I have seen pics of Elvis' gis. He wore the big collar shirts underneath, too.

Haha! Me or any submission grappler would be licking our lips at seeing lapels that big - aloha collar chokes!

:lol: :lol: You vultures, you!!! :lol: :lol:

Interesting conversation here...

I don't even like wearing a colored shirt under my white dobok. I might do the black shirt to go with the black collar once reach 1st dan, but other than that, I'll stick to white on white.

I thought of wearing a red shirt under my white dobok top to match my red belt, but thought that would be just tacky.

what goes around, comes around

I just wear whatever tshirt I wore at work; I put my gi on over the top. If I'm training that day, I don't wear anything with a collar. I don't really care about colour co-ordination and it's never been an issue. A lot of guys don't wear anything under the gi, and a lot wear rashguards. When I'm doing more no-gi stuff I might get a rashguard too and use that under the gi when I go back to the gi.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

i always wear a rash-guard under my gi. I hate the feeling of a sweat soaked t-shirt, and the rashguards are great at wicking away sweat.

If i happen to walk by a fan, it feels like an air conditioner blowing on me.

aside from that it's great for reducing the gi burn from tumbling and rolling in a stiff judo gi.

i bought a champion that has anti-bacterial properties too, but i heard that the a-b is useless after a wash or two. but even well washed and bleached mats can transmit ringworm and such.

The Elvis Gi's sound ridiculous, but oddly aluring at the same time. . . :P

even well washed and bleached mats can transmit ringworm and such.

Eww, thanks for sharing - it's useful information, but yeah - deffinately eww.

Personally, I don't wear a Gi, what with being Chinese martial artist and all. I've always had the impression that Gi's would be rather constricting; I know that's not the case, but it's just a feeling I get - maybe someday soon I shall don one.

I think flashy uniforms can be a part of all martial arts. Uniforms make people feel part of something larger than themselves, a collective, a group, a legacy, a tradition etc. and it is only natural for one to want to look good. Hence differing and occaisionally somewhat odd styles. Kung Fu, for example, is often shown being practiced by those wearing the traditional suits - cuffed trousers and a mandarin jacket - in every colour imaginable. Silk and satin are also popular.

I guess in variety and individuality we find the beauty of life :) .

"We follow the World,

The World follows Heaven,

Heaven follows Tao,

Tao follows the way things are."