• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Value of grappling arts for self defense?

Well i recomend JJ, or BJJ, but is your not into submissions then you should do the Judo

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i recomend JJ, or BJJ, but is your not into submissions then you should do the Judo

that depends, there is Kosen Judo where, they focus on a lot of submissions.. :D

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Yea true , but i asumed he was speaking about basic Judo.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I think that Grappling is a great for self defense but I wouldnt try to put yourself that close to your opponent unless your really really good at grappling or throwing..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Also, I think that Grappling is a great for self defense but I wouldnt try to put yourself that close to your opponent unless your really really good at grappling or throwing..

What makes it valuable for self-defense is for when you get into the situation where you get taken down, or clinched. If you don't know what to do when you are there, then you can end up in a world of hurt.

What makes it valuable for self-defense is for when you get into the situation where you get taken down, or clinched. If you don't know what to do when you are there, then you can end up in a world of hurt.

well, that also.. :) I can do pretty good in the clinch, but not so much on the ground..

• 2 months later...

DoktorVet is certainly correct. With the increase of MMA events televised, there are more and more wanna-bes that are trying to take you down during conflicts. The chances of ending up on the ground during a fight have always been high, but the chances are getting even higher.

The value of grappling in a self defense context is simply the ability to deal with another enviornment. One that it is entirely likely that you will find yourself in. In this regard, not training on the ground would amount to totally ignoring a range of combat. Would you just decide to not practice punching or kicking? Forget about throwing elbows and knees? Not likely.

The same should be said of the ground.

Remember as well, there are a ton of guys out there now who aren't ranked martial artist but who have spent time either in an MMA gym or pouring over youtube vids who have a modicum of grappling skill. Not enough to roll with trained BJJers, but enough in all likelyhood to give fits to a fighter untrained in ground tactics that finds himself on his back.

As far as initaiating a movment to the ground during a self defense conflict, I generally agree with everyone here. It's better to reamin on your feet and mobile, if for no other reason than to effect an escape. Still, the nature of combat is too fluid to ever discount the need to initate ground fighting. Perhaps you've been knocked senseless by a strike, and the only viable option to continue to fight is to tie up and go to the ground. Or perhaps it is the most effeive way to maintian control of a weapon. Hard to say. But again we come back to the simple fact that it is a furter set of options for you to employ given the need.

Additionally, we have to consider that when dealing with an opponant unschooled in grappling, it is an excellent way to overcome them quicly. Remember the first time yo uhit the mat with an expeianced ground fighter? If you didn't come out of a wrestling background I bet it was over pretty quick. This too can work to you're advantage in a conflict. By exploiting an untrained grapplers weakness, you may be able to end the fight quicker.

Just my thoughts on it.

Remember as well, there are a ton of guys out there now who aren't ranked martial artist but who have spent time either in an MMA gym or pouring over youtube vids who have a modicum of grappling skill. Not enough to roll with trained BJJers, but enough in all likelyhood to give fits to a fighter untrained in ground tactics that finds himself on his back.

I would like to make point based on this thought. If one doesn't have any experience on the ground, but does have stand-up experience, the opponent may decide that he is better off by taking you to the ground. In that case, even if the opponent has little ground experience, it ends up putting the two on an even field. The advantages of using leverage, body mechanics, and body weight in striking all go pretty much out the window after you get taken down.

That's a really good point, bushido man.

Striking on the ground is an entirely different animal than striking up top. It's a skill that really needs practiced as well. So, based on that point, I would say that not only do you need to include grapping in any self-defense training these days, but also get acclimitized to striking on the ground as well.

That's a really good point, bushido man.

Striking on the ground is an entirely different animal than striking up top. It's a skill that really needs practiced as well. So, based on that point, I would say that not only do you need to include grapping in any self-defense training these days, but also get acclimitized to striking on the ground as well.

Yes, especially from the bottom. All weight advantage and hip movement that you may have put into the strike will be drastically reduced while on your back. That, and the fact that you put your limb up for an armbar changes things as well.